Moving motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilsparky

Hello again!
My mechanical brethren are designing a multi-saw that moves in the x,y and z axis. So far they have, 1 motor that moves in the y axis, 1 motor that moves in the y and x axis and two motors that move in the y, x and z axis (one of these motors is actually the multi-saw).

What I was wondering is, will a festoon cable be good in these applications, sans the whole trolley hardware? I'm trying to brain storm what would be a cable to use.

Thanks, you guys (and gals) always help me out!!:D

rcwilson

Search for Cable-Trac. It is flexible cable tray similar to tracks on a Caterpillar tractor. It can protect flexible cables for one axis of motion. Getting x,y,z motion together will be a design challenge.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Search for Cable-Trac. It is flexible cable tray similar to tracks on a Caterpillar tractor. It can protect flexible cables for one axis of motion. Getting x,y,z motion together will be a design challenge.

+1 on Cable Track. That's a brand name, there are other mfrs, but once tou find that one Google will likely point you to others. The official name is "flexible cable carriers".

You will still need some high flex calbe to go into it though, and festoon cable is not quite good enough, it won't last long (been there, done that). The people who sell the Cable Tgrack will also seel hi-flex (prbably another brand name) cable as well. Very common in motion control applications.

microtrakri.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.