Mr Sparky and Mr Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyryan34

I was wondering how many of you live in areas where you have Mr Sparky or Mr Electric or any of the other franchise electrical companies?

Does it seem like they stay pretty busy?

What do you think the pros and cons of owning one would be?

brian john

I have only seen Mr Sparky and NO NOTHING about that business, I only think their trucks look cheesy. But I am no marketing expert, maybe that is what grabs a residential customers eyes.

mdshunk

I know they'd work well in a densely populated area. I don't think they'd do so well in a rural setting. Just my opinion, based on what I think I know so far. There is a MrHandyman franchise in my area, and their trucks seem to be sitting idle most days when I drive by.

satcom

mdshunk said:
I know they'd work well in a densely populated area. I don't think they'd do so well in a rural setting. Just my opinion, based on what I think I know so far. There is a MrHandyman franchise in my area, and their trucks seem to be sitting idle most days when I drive by.

You do need a populated area to make them work, the ones in my area are charging twice the price or more for their work, and in just a few years have claimed the area, driving out the local established guys, that were charging much less.

When they first came on the scene, everyone said they would not last with their higher prices, no one would use them, the opposite has happened, no one uses the established cheaper shops, most of them have just dropped out, since the mass marketing shops came in.

You need to do your homework, and see how your area is working.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
There is a Mr. Electric here serving an area of 130k. Its a smaller franchise; one van & one truck. I pass them around town probably once a week. They do a lot of new residential construction. The owner just purchased another territory and is expanding. Franchising can be successful, but I'm not sure the one here follows the business system that closely. I rarely see any advertising or hear radio ads. I have a few customers that used to be Mr. Electric customers, they had several complaints about Mr. Electric; none of them were price. Its up to each franchisee to make it work.

khixxx

I looked into MR.E a good bit. IT wasn't for me. I live in a very rural area in western PA. I would look at nexstar. I would also fly out to waco to see what they are about. I was expecting alittel more out of the trip but I did get more knowledge.

If I was starting a EC business I would say you need at least $50k to do it right. I guess it depends what you want in 5 years.

Do a search on this forum I am sure you can find things out about them.

khixxx

One more things, They invite you to visit at MR. E for a day. I am sure this is the best way to hear things about them.

I will tell you this. They gave me 4 guys to call and 3 told me not to do it.

SiddMartin

I heard that MR. Sparky is all flat rate pricing. I don't understand enough about the billiing/finanical stuff, but it seems that flat rate pricing would be difficult to succeed in. ( or apparently not)

satcom

SiddMartin said:
I heard that MR. Sparky is all flat rate pricing. I don't understand enough about the billiing/finanical stuff, but it seems that flat rate pricing would be difficult to succeed in. ( or apparently not)

Flat rate pricing can help you suceed, T&M and you may as well just continue working for an hourly rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.