MR16 bad connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Having occasional problems with the connectors for MR16 bulbs going bad after changing the bulb a few times. Seems the connection loosens up. Anyone have any suggestions on a fix for this instead of replacing the connector? I have one house that uses many differant brands of lights (most from other countries) and since not all connectors are the same, it can get expensive or difficult even to get. Most of the lights are Iris recess and those are very expensive.

joebell

Hate those Lamps

Hate those Lamps

Ben

I know that Lightolier makes the MR16 housings with solderless connections so you can easily replace the socket. The lamp I believe burns too hot and wears the sockets out. I know that the Iris fixtures are $$$.Good luck

Joe

gndrod

LV connection

LV connection

benmin said:
Having occasional problems with the connectors for MR16 bulbs going bad after changing the bulb a few times. Seems the connection loosens up. Anyone have any suggestions on a fix for this instead of replacing the connector? I have one house that uses many differant brands of lights (most from other countries) and since not all connectors are the same, it can get expensive or difficult even to get. Most of the lights are Iris recess and those are very expensive.

Another possibility is that secondary loose line connectors can also shorten the lamp life. Pin tightness in the socket is a must. Inserting the lamp takes a bit of force, if its loose, replace the socket. rbj

jrannis

benmin said:

Buy a box of extra sockets, It will be the best money you ever spent. Its easy to charge $36 or more for the "retrofit" part.

Status
Not open for further replies.