MSDS sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshea

Stopped at big orange last night and picked up some muriatic acid. Asked sales associate for MSDS sheet--"What's that?"
"It's an OSHA required sheet that describes...It's part of your Right to Know program."
"What's that?"
"Is the manager here?"
Same questions, same answers. The manager was not aware of the Right to Know program. The sales associate then said, "I think YOU (meaning me) can get those things off the internet."
I took my acid and went home and downloaded an MSDS sheet from the website!
Lesson here is if you send employees to big orange for something, don't be surprised when they don't have MSDS sheets. Just plan on downloading from internet!
Hope this helps!!

stew

Re: MSDS sheets

Im just not too sure that the retail sellers are required to supply them. I know thta commercial distrubutors are but does a retailer have to? Would seem like they would have a whole wall devoted to msds as the supply literally dozens of products that are hazardous. H<MMMM?

pwhite

the supplier of the acid you bought is required by law (at least in tennessee) to have on hand the msds information for all hazardous chemicals for their employeese. these sheets should also be available to you (my farm chemicals have the sheets in a packaging slip type envelope) and you may want to check your bottle of acid.

iwire

Staff member

States may have stricter rules than OSHA, but OSHA can not mandate that consumers have access to MSDS sheets, only that employees have access to them.

From an OHSA interpretation.
Under the current rule, distributors of hazardous chemicals must provide material safety data sheets (MSDS) and updated information, per paragraph (g)(7) of the HCS, to other distributors and employers. OSHA has no authority, under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (OSH Act), to prescribe or enforce regulations that affect situations outside the Agency's jurisdiction, e.g., OSHA cannot require distributors to provide a MSDS in a non employer-employee situation.
Go here for much more info on this straight from OSHA.

tshea

I'm well aware of the OSHA req. What I found disturbing is the employee and manager really did not understand the term MSDS, nor did either one have any idea about "Right to Know."
As a follow-up I called the store on Monday and asked for the Store Manager. I stated I did not want to talk to the Asst, or Day mgr., only the head guy! He apologized for the store, and stated that he would "talk to" the other manager. I hope I made it clear to him that the other mgr wasn't really at fault. He probable wasn't trained on MSDS. I suggested they start by bringing in the corp safety director and having that person review their safety policy in the store. The store magr seemed to take the suggestion well and assured me that they do have MSDS sheets available. He even faxed the one I needed to my shop. :)

iwire

Staff member

I am not sure I follow you.

Retail distributors who sell hazardous chemicals to employers must provide a MSDS upon request, and must post a sign or otherwise inform employers that an MSDS is available. In other words, an employer purchasing chemicals for his workers to use at his worksite is responsible for asking for the MSDS from the distributor. This must only be done, of course, if those workers will be using the "consumer product" in a manner that results in a duration and frequency of use and therefore exposure greater than would result from normal consumer usage.
OSHA can not and does not require the store to provide the MSDS sheets to the consumer for personal use.

Obviously they can provide it.

Read the link it explains this in detail. :)

jemsvcs

OSHA laws and regulations are for the protection of employees in the workplace. Since you purchased the material retail there are no federal requirements to provide an MSDS. However, since you are the customer and they were required to have one onsite in the event of a spill that their employees would have to clean up, they should have been able to provide you with a copy.

Looks like you had a customer service problem and not an OSHA mandated issue.

luke warmwater

Big O has them on file in the computer room.

It's a shame that they didn't know what you were talking about- they should have.

The "manager" you originally spoke to was more than likely a Department Head, acting as the MOD.

While we're talking acronyms, next time you get the muster to venture in, ask them if they know what a BFS or a BMFS is. These are 'actual' H.D. terms, taught in training, used to define certain in-store use items.

Back to the acid.
One of our local stores cuts ceramic tiles for customers. The tile saw was located next to the forklifts in the receiving dept.
Well, to make a long story short, the employee mistakenly dumped the nearby acid, thinking it was a jug of water, into the saw and began to cut.
2 employees and 2 customers were then rushed across the street to the emergency room and the store was shut down for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.