MTW conductor size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

I have some wire that is dual rated as MTW or THHN/THWN.

The insulation is rather thick, so I guessing it is MTW.

MTW is listed in T310.104(A), but I cannot find it in the Chapter 9 tables to calculate pipe fill and I do not see it Annex C either.

What am I missing?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Looking at Table 300.13(A), it seems to have the identical insulation thickness as TW so I would assume you could be safe using the TW charts.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the wire is rated as THHN/THWN then that is what you would use for sizing the raceway. It should not have thicker insulation than any other THHN/THWN of the same size. The MTW is just an additional listing for the wire to be used for internal wiring of equipment. All of the small THHN/THWN I buy is also marked MTW.

Edited to add the Southwire info below:

Southwire SIMpull THHN or THWN-2 conductors are primarily used in conduit and cable trays for services, feeders, and
branch circuits in commercial or industrial applications as specified in the National Electrical Code. Voltage for all applications
is 600 volts. SIMpull THHN conductors are designed to be used without application of pulling lubricant. Allowable
temperatures are as follows:
?
THHN or T90 Nylon- Dry locations not to exceed 90? C
?
THWN-2- Wet or dry locations not to exceed 90? C or locations not to exceed 75? C when exposed to oil
?
TWN75- Wet locations not to exceed 75? C
?
MTW- Wet locations or when exposed to oil at temperatures not to exceed 60? C or dry locations not to exceed 90? C
(with ampacity limited to that for 75? C conductor temperature per NFPA 79)
?
AWM- Dry locations not to exceed 105? C when rated and used as appliance wiring material

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.