Mule Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I just completed a 180 ft wire pull in PVC conduit with 3 2/0 Al XHHW conductors. We used "Mule Tape", which is a prelubricated measuring tape, with a breaking strength of 1200 lbs. We used to use 1/8 or 1/4 poly line, but the mule tape pulls easier and does not burn thru elbows. In this pull I looped the mule tape up over a pole anchor bolt and pulled down, try that with rope! Give mule tape a try, I found it in the Carlon catalog. Our local phone company requires it to be pulled in a telecommunications raceways to a building...

iwire

Staff member
Re: Mule Tape

Tom isn't it expensive to use compared to poly rope?

The phone company here also asks for it and we give them 3/8" or 1/2" rope and a true tape.

Purchasing tells us this is much cheaper than the mule tape.

Bob

tom baker

Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Yes it is more expensive. I forgot to add Mule Tape has footage numbers on it. I find True Tape to hard to pull in, and a couple of times I have burned thru an elbow with poly rope.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Our electrical utility requires us to install Mule Tape in all underground conduits we install for them. Once we started using it for them I decided to give it a try for our own use and have been very happy with its performance and easy of use. We use the 2500 lb tape. I think I compared the price with rope and it wasn't the much different but I could be wrong. We might also get a better deal on it since our suppliers sell quite a bit of it. I'll try to remember to look up and post what I paid for it last time. Bob or Tom do you know what 3/16" or 1/4" rope is going for?

For anyone here that doesn't know what Mule Tape is I believe this is the web site of the manufacture that the trade mark belongs to: http://www.neptco.com/website/neptco.nsf/OutsidePlant?OpenPage

tom baker

Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Thanks, curt there are other advantages I found:
NEPTCO's family of measuring and pulling tapes substantially reduces cable installation labor, material and inventory costs by providing a threading line, a measuring tape, and a winchline all in one product. MULETAPE? reduces damage to underground plants, improves efficiency, and enhances worker safety.

Our tapes are manufactured with a low stretch polyester material that distributes heat across its wide, flat profile. This improves efficiency and prevents "snap back", which occurs when a rope under high tension elongates and either breaks, or snaps back... often injuring the installer.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Not sure if all pocos do it ,but here florida power and light only use there mule tape once and discard it. If we are in the area these guys are happy to give it to us.If you have never used mule tape then you are missing out on a great thing to pull with,especially on long pulls.And since it is marked for footage we dont buy true tape anymore to measure.

russellroberts

My son works in the directional drilling business,and gets hundreds of feet of it for free.
I think it's as Allen said,a lot of poco's will only use it once.

It's really good for pulling wire.If you're pulling manually,it's much easier on your hands.

paul

I've been using this for years on Verizon, formally GTE, sites. I've never had a problem with it and I keep it whenever I'm done. It's great stuff.

lu302dan

Mule tape I believe is used when required to prevent "burning" through PVC at bends when pulling using a tugger or other means that uses a lot of force. It is quite expensive, but could save a lot of money to!

Status
Not open for further replies.