Mult tenant space occupiedby same occupant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlmwireman

Occupation
Electrician
Hi
I have a tenant that has 2 units next to each
Other with doorway between units.each unit has own meter and 100amp panel.
Would it be a diversion of service to feed
Lights and or receptacles from adjacent unit?
Thanks
Ron

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The reason multi tenant spaces are allowed to have separate service disconnecting means (not grouped) is because each space is a different entity with a firewall delineating the spaces. Essentially separate buildings sharing common walls.

To say you have one tenant occupying adjacent spaces and wanting to pass circuits through a firewall from space to another, would be up to the AHJ.

Sitting where I am, I would expect the answer to be no. On top of that, if the tenant resorts to just using one space and the other goes to another tenant with electrical coming from an adjacent space, would be poor design in my opinion.

480sparky

The only issue is the tenant will receive two utility bills.

"Diversion of service", I suspect, means one would take power from one panel and utilize it in the area intended to be fed from the other panel. Not an issue now, but if (or when) the tenant vacates the space (or one of them), there will be some work to be done to tidy things up.

Was just going to amend my post to mention 230.40 exception 1 which is the section cow was referring to. The service may not be configured to 230.40 ex 1, i.e. if there are grouped disconnects outside, or cold sequenced metering.

growler

To say you have one tenant occupying adjacent spaces and wanting to pass circuits through a firewall from space to another, would be up to the AHJ.

Sitting where I am, I would expect the answer to be no.

As far as I know you would have to combine the spaces into one address ( this requires a permit and inspections). Even to make a hole in the that firewall for a doorway that should have been the case.

If the disconnects are close enough to be call grouped and are properly marked as the same address I doubt that the extra meter would make any difference.

I agree with big NO way.

kwired

Electron manager
As mentioned separate spaces allow separate services in part because there is usually fire walls making them effectively separate buildings in a way.

I have done work in single facilities that had major addition built on that were allowed to have a separate service to the addition - usually with conditions that fire walls are utilized to effectively make them separate buildings. In such cases we also were not permitted to feed circuits in one "building" from the other "building". An opening between the two "buildings" was also required to at least have fire rated doors that automatically close when fire alarm system has an active alarm to help keep the separate building integrity during the situation

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wouldn't recommend it mainly because the two units may revert to separate tenancy in the future.

Also, imagine finding it out the hard way when one unit's power is off.

Status
Not open for further replies.