Multi Conductor Cable to THHN Transition

Sean.Day72

I have a situation where we are running XHHHN multi conductor cable (MC cable has 3#4/0, #4G) in cable tray on the roof of a building. After penetrating the roof with the MC cable we need to transition to standard THHN building wire in conduit. My suggestion to provide a box with Polaris splice in it to accomplish this. Is there any better way to do this? I hate splicing branch circuits but this is a unique situation where we can't run conduit through the building, only on the roof.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is the conduit run short enough that it's viable to strip the sheath from that portion of the cable?

You mentioned three Hs but no Ws. Is the cable's conductors' insulation wet-rated?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why not use the MC for the whole run?
I would have no concern with making a splice. For price comparison check PDBs verses Polaris lugs.

Sean.Day72

Yes typo. MC cable on the roof is Jacketed XHHW-2 , 3#4/0, #4G to be exact. (wet rated, sun light resistant jacketing) . Photo below . Compression splice inside a box to transition to EMT conduit seems to be the play. I was just making sure I wasn't violating a code section. IMG_7452.JPEG