Multi dwelling building

Status
Not open for further replies.

four

Have question on multi dwelling building. Code state that service conductors must not run through one dwelling to feed another. I cannot find in code where branch circuit wiring cannot go through one dwellling to feed another. I need to run air conditioner circuit from second floor to outside air conditioner and was going to run it down wall on inside instead od conduit on outside. Any help id greatly appreciated

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Multi dwelling building

Four,

See 210.25 and 240.24. As long as the conductors (in your case, the A/C circuit from the upper unit) has no outlet in the lower unit (as in, does not stop until it gets outside to it's equipment) it's legal.

The circuit would not be supplying the lower occupancy, so therefore the lower unit would not need access to the disconnecting means.

We frequently do what you're describing, and one better: Our main feeders usually run from the service disconnect all the way through the building, in the ceilings of all their neighbors, until they arrive at their destination. ;)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
We frequently do what you're describing, and one better: Our main feeders usually run from the service disconnect all the way through the building, in the ceilings of all their neighbors, until they arrive at their destination. ;)
We never do that, all the feeders stay in 'public' areas till they enter the unit they feed.

This maybe because often they are condo units to be sold.

JohnE

Nothing in the NEC prohibits feeders to run through one dwelling to another.

I agree with Bob and would keep them in common area if possible.

One area of concern is penetrating fire rated wall. SE cable or PVC will probably not be allowed.

John

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by j_erickson:
One area of concern is penetrating fire rated wall. SE cable or PVC will probably not be allowed.
In general, around here, this penetration is achieved by running metallic conduit through the firewall, and running the SER through the conduit. The conduit is filled to 55% max, and then filled with firecaulk. The edge of the hole where the conduit and drywall meet is then firecaulked.

sparky_magoo

In CA, the inspectors insist the emt stub through a firewall extend at least twelve inches (eighteen" in SF) past the drywall on both sides. They also want T/A's & plastic bushings.

four

Thanks for the info. I ran the service conductors throught conduit on outside and came in to the panel.I think everything else will be fine. Thanks for confirming.

Status
Not open for further replies.