Multi-family building fire alarm system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Hi, I know the forum topics here are mostly related to the NEC.. but I was hoping someone could maybe help me decipher this! this section is from the NYC Building Code, describing when a multi-family building (group R-2) needs a fire alarm system. I don't follow condition 1... is the condition a 3 story building or a 4 story building that triggers the need for a fire alarm system? I'm assuming they mean a 4 story building, since the lowest level of exit discharge would be the ground floor?

Group R-2. A fire alarm system without alarm notification appliances and smoke alarms shall be installed in accordance with this section in Group R-2 occupancies, other than student apartments, where such occupancy satisfies any one of the following conditions:

1. Any dwelling unit is located three or more stories above the lowest level of exit discharge, including dwelling units in penthouses of any area;
2. Any dwelling unit is located more than one story below the highest level of exit discharge of exits serving the dwelling unit; or
3. The building contains more than 16 dwelling units.

Thanks!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Exception 1 means four story building
What Johnhall30 said. Imagine the following. A building is constructed on a sloped lot, such that the lowest level exits to the ground level on the lower slope side, while on the opposite side, level 2 exits to the ground level on the upper slope side. This is just like my house, in fact. Now, add two more levels. On one side, the lowest discharge is only two levels below the uppermost floor, while on the other side, it's three levels below.

Status
Not open for further replies.