Multi-family dwelling, firewall requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I looked at a project yesterday that is a 10-unit apartment complex.
Apparently built in 70’s-early 80’s as housing for either low-income or seniors.
I’m thinking it was subsidized by some grant money or government money of some sort.
Electrically the install seems good. All in conduit. Generally appears code compliant for the original install.

What caught me off-guard was when I poked my head into the attic it was all one common attic open throughout the whole complex.
Isn’t there supposed to be a firewall between units that extends up through the attic to the roof?

I do not usually see firewalls between units. Usually between different occupancies and probably I suspect once you get into a large number of units there will be some "sectioning" with firewalls but I do not know those requirements.

kwired

Electron manager
Couple places I sometimes work at that are basically what you described and constructed about that same time have firewall at every other unit - Might not meet requirements of today but was some sort of attempt at a firewall.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I looked at a project yesterday that is a 10-unit apartment complex.
Apparently built in 70’s-early 80’s as housing for either low-income or seniors.
I’m thinking it was subsidized by some grant money or government money of some sort.
Electrically the install seems good. All in conduit. Generally appears code compliant for the original install.

What caught me off-guard was when I poked my head into the attic it was all one common attic open throughout the whole complex.
Isn’t there supposed to be a firewall between units that extends up through the attic to the roof?
You would have to check your local building codes to find an exact answer for your area, I think.

In our area, a firewall is required between the attics of each unit. But I think that probably started back in the early 90s.

I've been in a lot of duplex attics from earlier days (50s-80s) and never a firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.