multi-wire branch circuits / neutral Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

andinator

I'm with I-wire on this one. It is also going to interesting in some of the high tech, high dollar offices I work in when we start tripling what we are turning off to work safe due to the handle ties. I see alot of OT and long nights in my future.

cschmid

iwire said:
How about hiring some qualified people or sub the work out?

If they can not safely work on MWBC what else do they have trouble with?

Bob you are correct there are allot of problems when you hire under-qualified people..the problem I see is employers are cheap cutting corners when ever they can and even asking qualified people to do it for them. My answer is I will not do the job if I can not do it correctly..So I can not argue with your opinion as it is valid and MWBC can be cost effective..So my question is how do you get employers/owners to do the correct and legal thing. Even on this site we get non electrical people asking questions to verify what they have heard from qualified people..

macmikeman

I don't know if this will soften anybody's feelings on the subject, but I do alot of work in a 4 story building that houses several biotech company's and their labs. The building was originally setup with all receptacle circuits feeding the labs as multiwire branch circuits dispersed among many plugmolds along the tabletops. There are many expensive, and I mean really expensive experiments going on using electrical equipment of all sorts, 365 days a year, 24 hours. Indiscriminate turning off of circuits can ruin lots of long term work. Imagine if this building were wired after 2008 came out and required three pole breakers. IN SUCH A CASE THE PRESSURE TO MAKE THE ELECTRICIAN WORK LIVE WILL BE MUCH GREATER, and the risk of electrocution will go up considerably. Osha smocha, places like that will insist on putting sparky's at risk, you can bet your toolbelts on it. Now go ahead and fire your safety cannons at me, I am just thinking out loud about things that may inadvertanly start to show up once the 2008 comes out. Of course proper design would have this type of facility wired without using multiwire branch circuits, but we will see what we will see.

spsnyder

Another thing to throw in the mix.... If I didn't utilize MWBC in underfloor ducts my CCC number would climb and I'd have to put in 8 AWG because of the derating (Table 310.15(B)(2)(a)). As it is I barely skeak by with 10 AWG on 20 amp breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.