Multi-dwelling panel setup

Alexis

Hello,

I'm planning a job for a 5 meter building and with all the code changes about separate compartments for unipacks, me and my inspector are now a bit confused. Feels like no one knows any longer what is ok and what is not. So I decided to do this project with a main service disconnect at 400A, a wireway and 5 separate panels as indicated in the single line I did.

This setup is not as common here in SoCal, and I would appreciate an advice:

1. Would I bond my neutral to ground in the service disconnect, wireway or separate panels?
2. If I do it at service disconnect, which I'm leaning to, then I can't use standard 100A main panels with meters like Siemens MC1020B1100S, as they are rated as service equipment themself and have neutral bonded to ground. Would in this case be better to use meter sockets plus sub panels with a separate neutral and ground?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Attachments

• SL.jpg
    SL.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 12

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes the MBJ would be in the 400 amp service disconnect and the GEC's would have to terminate there as well or at another point upstream from the 400 amp disconnect. Your meter enclosures would have to be a type that did not have a bonded neutral.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why are you installing a main disconnect if there are only 5 meters? Most utilities in CA will not permit a main device unless there is more that 6 meters. Have you confirmed what LADPW wants?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was wondering about the main too. But it was more along the lines of if you have a main like that, are the wires going to the meters still service wires?

And how do you size the egc going to each meter if there is no upstream ocpd? Is it really an egc or is it a ssbj?