Multiple AC Disconnect switch in one service

Status
Not open for further replies.

inforaj

Occupation
Hello everyone,
One of my friends is talking about this multiple disconnect switch that needs to install in one location. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know in which condition we need to install these multiple disconnect switches.

1677542826850.png

Thanks in advanced.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There are lots of threads on this forum about supply side connections. Do you have a specific question?

Or are you asking about why there are two disconnects on the right? I don't see a reason for the unfused disconnect unless it is a different location, if that's what you're asking.

inforaj

Occupation
There are lots of threads on this forum about supply side connections. Do you have a specific question?

Or are you asking about why there are two disconnects on the right? I don't see a reason for the unfused disconnect unless it is a different location, if that's what you're asking.
Thank you, Jaggedben. Yes, I just want to learn more about this code and regulation. 1. Under what conditions will we need to install two disconnect switches? 2. Why did they put one fused and one confused? 3. Can we install one instead of two and do the load side tap? (add one breaker to the existing panel).

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The fused disconnect acts as (or like) an additional service disconnect, it has overcurrent protection. It is necessary given the supply side connection shown in the diagram.

The unfused utility disconnect to the right is labeled utility disconnect. It should not be necessary in this diagram unless the fused disconnect somehow doesn't meet the utility's requirements for a disconnect. For example if the fused disconnect were inside and the utility wanted their disconnect outside. Some people seem to think that an NEC-required disconnect cannot also serve as the utility-required disconnect, but in my experience that is not true if the disconnect satisfies both requirements. Not all utilities require a bladed disconnect. That is not in the NEC. But it's a common utility interconnection requirement.

Supposing you were able to connect to the panelboard with a circuit breaker (load side connection instead of using a supply side connection) the unfused utility disconnect might still be required by the utility, but the fused disconnect would not be. There's lots of threads here on the rules for load side connections, trying looking at a few. You at least need to confirm the busbar rating in the panelboard if you want more feedback on that.

pv_n00b

The two in series like that are not code requirements. Maybe a utility requirement but I have not run across that one before. Some small muni utilities can get really weird in their requirements.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The two in series like that are not code requirements. Maybe a utility requirement but I have not run across that one before. Some small muni utilities can get really weird in their requirements.
Not just small ones. CPS (San Antonio) sometimes requires discos on both sides of their required PV meter and in some circumstances (like when the inverter is on a building removed from the point of interconnection) they can require a third disco.

Status
Not open for further replies.