Multiple AC Units

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I am looking for a code section that makes installing multiple AC units on one OCPD a violation. I am having a can't see the forest for the trees moment. Can anyone assist?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I don't think you will find an explicit prohibition to having multiple AC units on a single circuit.

But it would be a rare situation where it is permitted to have multiple units on a single branch circuit when you do the load calculations and deal with the general requirements for branch circuits.

Small windows AC units might draw 4 or 5A. You could have several on a single 20A receptacle circuit.

For hard wire things such as mini splits, sometimes you will see small units where the rated current is less than half the allowed max OCPD...but then you need to deal with the installation instructions which might require a separate circuit.

It is totally reasonable to run a feeder branch circuit style, and have fused disconnects at each unit. But this might be a problem if you have ground fault protection supplying the feeder.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
As stated above I don't think you'll find anything that prohibits it.
Is someone telling you that's how they want it done?

eagleelec

Occupation
Electrical Sub Code official, Electrical Contractor
I believe the closest you will come is 422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Here you need individual branch circuit for central heating equipment. If your A/C does not have heating capability, a furnace, then this section would not apply. If your A/C is also your heat, then the individual branch circuit would be required.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I believe the closest you will come is 422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Here you need individual branch circuit for central heating equipment. If your A/C does not have heating capability, a furnace, then this section would not apply. If your A/C is also your heat, then the individual branch circuit would be required.
Assuming the feeder has taps with overcurrent protection, the load side of the overcurrent protection would be the individual branch circuit.