Multiple garage door openers

Status
Not open for further replies.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Are you allowed to install 5 or 6 garage door openers on one 20 amp circuit?

Where receptacles are used, 210.21(B)(2) says no. The table limits the load on a 20 amp branch circuit to 16 amps.

(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where connected
to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or
outlets, a receptacle shall not supply a total cord-and-plug connected
load in excess of the maximum specified in Table
210.21(B)(2).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But if nothing is installed to prevent someone from trying to open them at the same time can you use that arguement?
Using remote controls you would not even need enough people to push all the buttons at once.
Many vehicle based remote systems can operate as many as three doors in rapid succession. Or all doors could be programmed to the same code.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

adnj

I don't remeber the max number of outlets on a 20 circuit in a garage. Each opener may need it's own outlet.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
regardless of NEC, it is wise to use 2 ckt's (min) so that if one ckt goes dead one of the other garage doors can still open. since NEC is under NFPA, my example is, well, a fire example. if a fire forces people to exit through a garage (an attached garage example), and considering panic, having power to 1 or more garage doors is a good thing. the example for non attached garage is say someone working in the garage, one ckt goes dead, but fumes or something else requires person(s) to leave asap, having 1 or more garage doors working is a good thing.

surely the emergency garage door release is there, but many folks simply have no idea how they work, and have no idea how heavy a garage door is (may be) even when it has good working springs.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
I solved that issue in my detached garage. No electric openers, all are easy to lift by hand! Even the 10 x 10.

If the power is out to the electric garage doors on the house garage, and need a panic exit, just walk out the man door, leave the car.;)

I can say two powered garage doors can run on a 20 amp circuit fine, as I have run both doors on the house garage at the same time with no issues. You know, even when you just want one door open, you press the wrong one and then open/close the other one right away.

kwired

Electron manager
Where receptacles are used, 210.21(B)(2) says no. The table limits the load on a 20 amp branch circuit to 16 amps.

(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where connected
to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or
outlets, a receptacle shall not supply a total cord-and-plug connected
load in excess of the maximum specified in Table
210.21(B)(2).
This can be taken two ways IMO.

1. Maximum load on any receptacle is limited to the table.

2. Maximum load on the branch circuti is limited to the table.

I think my interpretation is #1, so as long as you don't plug multiple door openers into a single receptacle you still have the limit of the branch circuit rating.

I have had a few installations with 3 doors all on same circuit - never had any problems with them, though the total of all three may possibly exceeded 20 amps. Nature of the load here is as long as the breaker will hold when they all start at same time, they don't run long enough to trip the breaker on overload.

adnj

Depending on the opener and lighting on the opener, I have seen startup wattage listed between 1100 and 2000 watts.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.