Multiple Load Side POIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcanning87

I have an 800A PV system that I'm looking to tie-in on the load side of an existing 4000A switchgear. The switchgear is rather ancient GE unit and has two open bays for fusible disconnects, one is for a 400A frame size and the other for a 600A frame size.

Does Article 705 allow multiple points of connection behind the same main service? Does it make a difference if the spare slots are in different 2000A sections of the same switchgear?

Thanks in advance.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Does Article 705 allow multiple points of connection behind the same main service? ...

Yes.

Some people might get tripped up on the 'dedicated' disconnect and OCPD, but the point of that is not to have loads on the branch circuit. I've never had a problem with multiple POIs, I've seen it done dozens of times.

I have an 800A PV system that I'm looking to tie-in on the load side of an existing 4000A switchgear. ... Does it make a difference if the spare slots are in different 2000A sections of the same switchgear?

If both 2000A sections have a 2000A OCPD, you should be able to connect a 400A backfeed in each section. However if there's just a 4000A protection for the whole switchgear, then you'd presumably be dealing with a multiple ampacity busbars situation. The 2014 code allows this sort of thing under 'engineering supervision'. You'd have to have an engineer do a study that satisfies the AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.