Multiple Motor Loads on Single Contactor

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ee.van

Occupation
EE
Hi,

I am attempting to drive a 240V 3HP 1PH 17FLA Motor on a Manual Motor Starter and L1 and L2 on a 3 pole 18A Contactor.
Can I run a 120V (taken from L1 5A Fused) Positive Displacement Pump on L3 of the contactor?

Both Pumps Run at the same time.

It is my understanding that each pole is isolated therefore I can drive 2 separate loads using the same contactor.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm not sure I fully understand the OP. But, off the top of my head, it would seem to me that the easiest way to do this would be to just use 2 magnetic motor starters and then you can do any operation you want with the control circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
OP does say "manual motor starter". Unless he means something else that is likely a manually operated contactor and overload protection is incorporated. If it is a field selectable thermal element type overload it probably can work as requested. If it is bimetal with adjustment dial for setting then the setting selected applies to all three poles and unless each motor had same full load current one or the other will not be protected properly. On top of that if it is designed to detect phase loss it probably won't work so well anyhow as it will be looking for reasonably equal current on all three lines to prove there is no phase loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.