Multiple neutrals with different colored stipeson a whit

Status
Not open for further replies.

risbryan

Is it against any code to install multiple neutrals, White wire with different colored stripes going into the same panel?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Multiple neutrals with different colored stipeson a whit

While I see no hazard and some benefits in identifying the grounded conductors in this manner, I believe that it is a technical violation of 200.6. And, yes, I believe that the new two neutral NM cables are also in violation of this rule. Unless you have grounded conductors from two different systems in the raceway or cable, 200.6 requires that the grounded conductor be white or gray. The use of white with stripes is reserved for the second system grounded conductor in the same raceway or conductor. In my opinion the word "system" in 200.6(D) is referring to different voltage systems and not different circuits from the same voltage system. I really thought that Southwire would have submitted a proposal for the 2005 code to clear this issue up.
I would never expect that an inspector would cite a job for using a white conductor with stripes on a single system, but I do think that is it a violation of the current code wording.
Don

iwire

Staff member
Re: Multiple neutrals with different colored stipeson a whit

AFC cable should make the same proposal.

They have been making MC cable with multiple striped neutrals for a while now.

10/2/2/2 and 12/2/2/2 are types I have been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.