multiple sensors for the same light

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt123

Has anyone put multiple sensors on a single fixture? Im looking to do a sensor light in the driveway but also connect that to a sensor by the front door. So if you come in by car or leave by front door it will turn the lights on. Has anyone done this? I am thinking it's possible but anyone had success with it?

arrail.thomas

Has anyone put multiple sensors on a single fixture? Im looking to do a sensor light in the driveway but also connect that to a sensor by the front door. So if you come in by car or leave by front door it will turn the lights on. Has anyone done this? I am thinking it's possible but anyone had success with it?
Commercial application its no problem...so yes you can. Muliple sensors would be the key. Daisy chain them together.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Don't see what the problem would be. As long as you use sensors that have an actual relay to switch the load you would just wire them as if you had two single pole switches turning the light on. Hots together to the feed, switch legs (reds) together to the lights. All neutrals together.

Logic here would be if one or the other or both sensors are triggered light(s) come on and go out when the last sensor drops out.

-Hal

matt123

Don't see what the problem would be. As long as you use sensors that have an actual relay to switch the load you would just wire them as if you had two single pole switches turning the light on. Hots together to the feed, switch legs (reds) together to the lights. All neutrals together.

Logic here would be if one or the other or both sensors are triggered light(s) come on and go out when the last sensor drops out.

-Hal

Yes that’s what I was thinking. Shouldn’t be a problem but never ran into this situation. Thinking power up the switch, go to first sensor then 14/3 to the next sensor. The light wouldn’t need to be connected to both sensors because of the 14/3? This maps out in my mind. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, you simply wire the sensors like switches in parallel, color for color, so any one turns/keeps the light on. Unlike 3-ways, you wouldn't have or need a manual-off function.

Status
Not open for further replies.