Multiple Service Disconnects - GEC install requirements - SFR

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey All,

I'm installing a 320A service at a single family residence. We are using a 324N meter with 2 separate 200A service disconnects adjacent to the meter. We have one common GEC run to a Ufer with 4 AWG Cu. We follow 2020 NEC

I typically deal with single disconnects, so forgive me if this is an obvious question for some.

Would it be a violation to run my GEC tap permitted by 250.64(D)(1)(3) through my separate meter enclosure via two PVC conduits along with the service entrance conductors as shown in my picture? Would I need to land the GEC in the meter enclosure?

Or am I better off running outside of the meter for my GEC tap?

Thanks in advance

1635448250244.png

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Isnt there an option to run the GEC to the meter and not have to bring it to each and every service disconnect?
or,
Has that become a thing of the past now also?

Jap>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Isnt there an option to run the GEC to the meter and not have to bring it to each and every service disconnect?
or,
Has that become a thing of the past now also?

Jap>
The NEC allows it but many POCO's do not. Looks like the best place to land a single GEC in this scenario.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The wording of 250.64(D)(1) including the following: "A grounding electrode conductor tap shall extend to the inside of each disconnecting means enclosure." leads me to conclude the common conductor, if used, should be tapped outside the disconnect.

Invictus107

Occupation
Electrical Project Supervisor
Hey All,

Sorry to hijack an old thread. Hoping for some clarification being I have a similar install coming up. My understanding is this GEC tap would not be permissible by 250.64(D)(1)(3) as a standard 200a service disco neutral bar does not comply with “aluminum or copper busbar not less than 6 mm thick × 50 mm wide (1/4 in. thick × 2 in wide.)” I am under the impression the requirement is referencing something like pic attached and would need to be installed external to panel with common GEC from electrode and than two GEC tap conductors routed to each disco.

images

Hey All,

Sorry to hijack an old thread. Hoping for some clarification being I have a similar install coming up. My understanding is this GEC tap would not be permissible by 250.64(D)(1)(3) as a standard 200a service disco neutral bar does not comply with “aluminum or copper busbar not less than 6 mm thick × 50 mm wide (1/4 in. thick × 2 in wide.)” I am under the impression the requirement is referencing something like pic attached and would need to be installed external to panel with common GEC from electrode and than two GEC tap conductors routed to each disco.
I am having a bit of a hard time understanding what you are asking. Yes the busbar in your picture is typical of what you would use for 250.64(D)(1)(3). No you cant run the common GEC to the neutral bar of one enclosure and then run the tap to the other enclosure from that neutral bar.

Invictus107

Occupation
Electrical Project Supervisor
I am having a bit of a hard time understanding what you are asking. Yes the busbar in your picture is typical of what you would use for 250.64(D)(1)(3). No you cant run the common GEC to the neutral bar of one enclosure and then run the tap to the other enclosure from that neutral
250.64(D)(1)(3) is referenced in OP and diagram depicts GEC to neutral bar jumping to 2nd disco. Someone also mentioned split bolt connection for common GEC tap. Just wanted a sanity check as I didn’t think either of these were compliant solutions.

250.64(D)(1)(3) is referenced in OP and diagram depicts GEC to neutral bar jumping to 2nd disco. Someone also mentioned split bolt connection for common GEC tap. Just wanted a sanity check as I didn’t think either of these were compliant solutions.
Ah ok. I suppose it is debatable, but I don't see splicing the tap on the neutral bar being in the spirit of the wording, however from a practical standpoint, I don't see what the difference is over using a split bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.