Multiple small fans - industrial

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
They will have to be rated for Horsepower!
Yes, they have restrictions based on the loads they control, but I can't find anything that limits what type or rating of switch is used based on the OCPD of the circuit/feeder.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Since the motors are thermally protected, no OL protection is required, but you will need branch circuit, short circuit and ground fault protection, usually the circuit breaker. Art 430 has rules for multiple motors on a BC.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
It appears you are correct, though, @Strathead, that there is no requirement for a switch to have an OCPD to match its rating--they're just restricted by the load. I can't find anything in 404 or 210 that would prohibit putting a 15A toggle switch on a 50A circuit.
But Augie pointed other codes that restrict putting the motors themselves on 50 amp circuits.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
For this installation, it works out to be cheaper if I go with a motor feeder instead of the subpanels. I'll end up with a 2-space breaker panel and 2-pole 15A breaker at each fan location for the OCPD and local disconnect. The subpanel route is about $4k more in labor and materials.