Murray Panel, 200 amp MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadnodine

I am trying to persuade my customer to change this 70's Murray Panel with the Red 200 Amp MB. Besides the panel being maxed out in space now the bus is melted on 2 spaces. Another contractor wants to put a quad breaker instead of changing the panel. First of all it's a band aid and secondly the quad is not an approved manufacture for this panel. I thought there was already a bulletin out there on the hazards of these panel & breakers? Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am trying to persuade my customer to change this 70's Murray Panel with the Red 200 Amp MB. Besides the panel being maxed out in space now the bus is melted on 2 spaces. Another contractor wants to put a quad breaker instead of changing the panel. First of all it's a band aid and secondly the quad is not an approved manufacture for this panel. I thought there was already a bulletin out there on the hazards of these panel & breakers? Thanks for any help!

If you're talking about the main breaker being a "quad" then some of the Siemens mains look like a "quad" or 4-single pole breakers. Siemens and Murray are the same branch circuit breakers, not sure the mains were/are though

As far as replacing your panel, unless it was a problem with the customer paying, I would replace it due to the burned stabs or bus.
What would be better than just changing the main (without replacing the whole panel) would be to just change the "guts". Cheaper option for the customer.

chadnodine

67c1f6617429c54f5b10baad76b8eaa7.jpg

Hopefully this photo helps. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.