MV Cable installed in C Type Conduit Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

csully12

I am working on a design build project that the contractor has installed C type conduit bodies in a 4" rigid conduit run. The conduit will have 3-1/0 15kV cables installed. I don't like the idea of the conduit bodies being used but need to find a viloation of some sort to get them to remove it and change to a pullbox. Has anyone run into this or have any input on this type of installation? I know its a fill factor violation but I wanted to list as many as I could.
Thanks in advance for any input.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If there are more than 360? of bend you need a pull point. A C fitting is not a pull point for this application unless the length of the fitting cover is equal to or greater than 48 times the OD of the conductors. 314.71(A)

beanland

Manufacturer's Requirements

Manufacturer's Requirements

In addition, most manufacturers specify the minumum bending radius for their wire/cable.

BJ Conner

C-Type condulets

C-Type condulets

I am working on a design build project that the contractor has installed C type conduit bodies in a 4" rigid conduit run. The conduit will have 3-1/0 15kV cables installed. I don't like the idea of the conduit bodies being used but need to find a viloation of some sort to get them to remove it and change to a pullbox. Has anyone run into this or have any input on this type of installation? I know its a fill factor violation but I wanted to list as many as I could.

"C" type are good for squirting in soap as the cable goes by but that's it. You can pull the cable out but you can get the "Bite" in without destroying the cable. That's part of the theory in the NEC rules on boxes.
IF you need an intermediate pull point on conduit these take up less space than a pull box. http://www.o-zgedney.com/PDF/OZG_CA_PullBoxFittings[1].pdf
The opening has to be at least 4 times the minimum bending radius of the conduit. :cool:

mkgrady

That C fitting can only be used as a lubricating point in a cable pull.

The cable can not be bent to a radius of less than 7 times its diameter during installation if it is shielded with wire. The multiplier goes to 12 if the cable is shielded with foil or tape. So, if the cable diameter were 1.5 inches it can not be bent into a radius of less than 10.5 inches or a circle of less than 21". Do the math for tape shielded and you get a much larger radius or circle as your minimum.

These calcs only apply during cable pulling. The numbers are different for the final training of the cables. An example would be at the splice or termination points where a sharper bend is allowed.

Just looked up typical 1/0 15 KV shielded cable and found 1-1.1 inch diameter. Of course, actual diameter of cable must be used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.