MV Cables in Manholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake's Dad

The Electrical Contractor on a current project has installed 33-kv cables through a series of ductbanks & manholes to feed several buildings. The contractor has used different conduits to pull through instead of the conduits directly across from each other. Apparently there was a blockage in some of the conduits when the pull started, so they just pulled through whichever conduit was available and went back and cleared the blockage. (????) Still waiting for proof of conduits being clear. They also blocked empty conduits with cables when they were dressing the cables in the manholes.

The installation has all of us, on the owner's side unhappy with the installation. I'm hoping to find in the code something that tells me that they must change it. I've been through NEC 110, 300 & 310 and haven't been able to put my finger on anything concrete yet. Looking for a copy of ANSI/NECA 1-2006 Standard Practices..., hoping there is something in there.

I've never started a cable pull without knowing conduits were clear and not being able to pull through conduits across from each other. What I consider good workmanship/craftsmanship.

Any advice on a place to find the answer?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The NEC isn't a design manual. It's not going to care that other conduits are blocked off, only that the existing wiring is safe. I think you're out of luck...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I must, sadly, agree. Unless there is something in the project's drawings or specifications that addresses this situation, and I think that is unlikely, there will not be a legal requirement to force the contractor to redo the installation.

wawireguy

Next time don't be so excited to take the lowest bidder. Require that work be reviewed by someone on your staff.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I doubt it is a problem, but no knowing the dimension of your manhole you might check 300.34 for deflection of condcutors... maybe....

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree the NEC doesn't address this. However, I'm not so sure the contractor is off the hook.

If you asked for 3 spare conduits, I think you can reasonably expect to get 3 usable spare conduits. If the contractor only gave you 2 usable spare conduits, I don't think they have delivered on the contract.

Of course, you (or the owner) might have to take legal action to get them to fix it, and then there is probably only a 50-50 chance the jury will understand the contractors obligations.

mkgrady

Read the specificions and drawings. Do you see anything in there that would help you. Does the spec require a test mandrel be run through each conduit to prove they are in good condition? Is a report required of the tests? Do they have the report?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I must, sadly, agree. Unless there is something in the project's drawings or specifications that addresses this situation, and I think that is unlikely, there will not be a legal requirement to force the contractor to redo the installation.
I must disagree... IF (with ultimately strong emphasis) there are project plans that are PE stamped, AHJ approved for construction, and also indicate which duct is to be used for which cables. Granted, the recourse taken by the contractor is not a code violation, but it is a matter of not being constructed per plans, and without prior written approval to change such, is likely a breach of contract.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You didn't disagree! :grin: Didn't I already suggest that the project's drawings and specs might have something that addresses this situation?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You didn't disagree! :grin: Didn't I already suggest that the project's drawings and specs might have something that addresses this situation?
I was wondering if you were going to catch that :D

In most the new work I've done on duct banks, the drawings have always "spelled out" exactly what cables go in which duct. I was disagreeing with your "unlikely"... though it didn't really come out that way.

I realized it after I had written and posted it. I said to myself, "Aw, heck. Let's see if he catches it..." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.