My Boss thinks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive just started at this new job and doin a rough in with a simple 350 amp single phase 120/240 v service my boss says "my bonding jumper needs to be bugged outside to the GEC " . i said ive never done that before . ive always gone from the terminal bar of 200 a to 150a its says accesible right . i would think that would be a better gf return path. just what to here what others think

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are talking about the bonding jumper in the main panel for metallic pipe then it can be bonded to the grounded neutral bar.

SG-1

If I understand correctly the boss's way will cause fault current to flow from the point of failure through the panel, outside to a point on the GES, then back through the GEC to the neutral bar in the panel. He lacks enlightment.

G._S._Ohm

Post a diagram showing dimensions of your way and his way. The current paths and circuit resistances, once calculated, will tell the story and will change this from a matter of opinion to a matter of fact.

If you're right he may be mad.

Last edited:

Bea

I believe your installation falls under 250.64(D) NEC 2008. In general I agree with your boss unless I missed the picture.

didnt mean to post that again dont know what happened. yes 250.64(d) makes sense but what would be wrong with running the gec to the ge with #6 terminate in the 200a panel terminal bus THEN take your bonding jumper #6 to the 150a and terminating on the bar in that panel. My boss says thats wrong wont pass inspec. ive done that in my previous job for 12 years never failed for that. sorry for reposting original post im new.

Status
Not open for further replies.