My brother was on a scaffold that fell and completely crushed his ankle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky=t

hope he has a goog orthopedic, that will be a rough go, I shattered both of my heels a year ago, long recovery followed by p.t.
My thoughts are with him.

mcclary's electrical

I hope he recovers quickly,,,,,but hey! At least he's not as bad as my brother. Last week at work he was running a piece of wood through a table saw. The wood kicked back and hit him in his junk. The next morning he had to have emergency surgery because it severed his right testicle (inside) and was swolen the size of a grapefruit. Tell your brother his ankle will be fine.

AV ELECTRIC

This is the time your brother will need you support and understanding . Healing is done through the body and the process can be greatly improved with a positive attitude . He must have the determination to get better and family and friends can help him get there . You may have to get tough with him at times. My brother survived the accident but the prescribed medication they gave him afterward for pain done him in . I regret not being more tough on that at beginning before he got addicted. God speed

WorkSafe

Was the scaffold installed by a competent person?Any visits from OSHA?

Scaffold accidents are typically always the result of the contractor not errecting the scaffold to spec. I can't count how many times I've seen scaffolds with zero railings and not assembled correctly.

It's one of OSHA's most commonly cited violation, along with trenching.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I feel for them both and the long healing process in store.

I had a minor fall in October when the peripheral vision distortion from my safety glasses caused me to misjudge the edge of a step. The stair was clearly marked with yellow/black stripes, it was just a simple stupid thing of my not paying close enough attention really. I took the step for granted, caught my boot heal on the edge and pitched forward head first into a steel fire door. I had my hard hat on, I'm convinced it saved my life. But I put my right hand out in front of me and bent it back really hard and far. No broken bones but severe "soft tissue damage". 6 months later and countless hours of OT yet it still hurts like hell, I can't even get my wallet out of my back pocket (which has side benefits however). Recovery from even relatively simple injuries is no trivial thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.