My first commercial bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclamped

This is my first commercial bid. The job is about 6000 square feet. It is classrooms and offices in downtown L.A.. I have worked out some numbers, but was hoping for some other takes. My take offs are:
70- 2' x 4' 4 lamp flourescent 277v. light fixtures
8- 7" 277v. recessed cans
4- 277v. exit lights
60- 20 amp recepticles
4- GFCI recepticles
20- single pole switches
30- phone/data locations (single gang box with 3/4" rigid conduit 6" above 8' ceilings.
11- t-stat locations (single gang box with 3/4" rigid conduit 6" above 8' ceilings.
1- 45 kva transformer 480v.-120/208 3 phase 4 wire
1- 150 amp 3 phase surface mount sub panel.
Anyway that is most of the info.. All conduit has to be EMT except fixture whips can be in steel flex. All fittings have to be steel.
I have numbers ranging from $20,000 from the G.C. and $ 50,000 from some of my E.C. buddies. Let me know what you think. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

cadpoint

mclamped said:
30- phone/data locations (single gang box with 3/4" rigid conduit 6" above 8' ceilings.
11- t-stat locations (single gang box with 3/4" rigid conduit 6" above 8' ceilings.

Anyway that is most of the info.. All conduit has to be EMT except fixture whips can be in steel flex. All fittings have to be steel.

Steel - compression, or screw ? big price difference there....

I don't understand the rigid? Is this to be exposed on the wall or for that matter in the wall? EMT is allowed to be incased vertically.

And plus the time to track the mason...

If in fact if it will be in the block or concrete the boxes can be taped but the mud ring will be different! Don't forget about the tile ring for the bathrooms.

Well, I've only run 1" for telephone its a local hang-up with the area universities.

mclamped

cadpoint said:
Steel - compression, or screw ? big price difference there....

I don't understand the rigid? Is this to be exposed on the wall or for that matter in the wall? EMT is allowed to be incased vertically.

And plus the time to track the mason...

If in fact if it will be in the block or concrete the boxes can be taped but the mud ring will be different! Don't forget about the tile ring for the bathrooms.

Well, I've only run 1" for telephone its a local hang-up with the area universities.

Set screw fittings

Rigid conduit for the low voltage was in the general notes.

No bathrooms, just classrooms, offices, breakrooms, and a hallway.

tyha

This price does not include the feeder to the sub panel because i don't know how far but if that exact project were in raleigh, nc we would price it at $29,370 and add the feeder @ $52 a linear ft - that includes wire, conduit, labor up to 15' AFF. but you gotta understand that is based solely on a 2 minute estimate using our labor rate plus burden with nothing but unit prices for everything and and I am certain that your rates are much higher in LA.

PVC is ridgid too...

PVC is ridgid too...

mclamped said:
Rigid conduit for the low voltage was in the general notes.

Remember that PVC is classified as ridgid. That is much nicer in block... And as posted before... Follow the mason.

$20k seems low...

2x4 troffers... single or 2 switch? That's 12/2 or 12/3 and a big price difference. In a lot of places the IECC states there should be 2 switches or 1 occupancy sensor...

Not NEC, but nonetheless it still applies (if your jurisduction requires it)

Greg

mclamped

Greg Swartz said:
Remember that PVC is classified as ridgid. That is much nicer in block... And as posted before... Follow the mason.

$20k seems low...

2x4 troffers... single or 2 switch? That's 12/2 or 12/3 and a big price difference. In a lot of places the IECC states there should be 2 switches or 1 occupancy sensor...

Not NEC, but nonetheless it still applies (if your jurisduction requires it)

Greg

dual circuit occupancy switches.

Brian J.

I came up with $35,000 using Sacramento union labor rates. This price is assuming some mc cable in walls and DOES NOT include the price for the lighting fixtures.

How much EMT are you calculating to run, and how many wires per on average?

5 wires is the average calc I use. It's low sometimes, and high others...
Is all your EMT 3/4" or do you use 1/2" too...

If I'd have to guess, I'd think the $29k+ bid issued before would be a fair bit low, but I don't have a fantastic calculator (or the skills) to perform a take off like that in 2 minutes (or 20 minutes for that fact!).

But I can tell you that the GC is always going to look for a loooooow number, so they can get the job.

Greg

What state is this project in?

What state is this project in?

mclamped said:
This is my first commercial bid. The job is about 6000 square feet. It is classrooms and offices in downtown L.A.. I have worked out some numbers, but was hoping for some other takes. My take offs are:
70- 2' x 4' 4 lamp flourescent 277v. light fixtures
8- 7" 277v. recessed cans
4- 277v. exit lights
60- 20 amp recepticles
4- GFCI recepticles
20- single pole switches
1- 45 kva transformer 480v.-120/208 3 phase 4 wire
1- 150 amp 3 phase surface mount sub panel.
I have numbers ranging from $20,000 from the G.C. and $ 50,000 from some of my E.C. buddies. Let me know what you think. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

I would say $20,000 should cover only material and labor if it's in the north east examples of ny,nj. Prepare to loose on this one at that price. If you are in the southeast somewhere examples of florida, i would say sounds about right. Anywhere else i couldn't comment. Looks like LA. I've heard it was very expensive there so good luck.

Last edited:

peter d

mclamped said:
All conduit has to be EMT except fixture whips can be in steel flex. All fittings have to be steel.

"Has to be EMT?"

Can you substitute MC cable? That would be much faster and cheaper than EMT?

mclamped said:
Only flexable conduit allowed is for fixture whips

I'm betting you can get a variance there.

Also, I haven't met a GC or Owner who knew the difference between flex and MC. And when I have been in this situation (yes, been there before) and explained it to them... and I told them there would be savings in $$$, they always went for it. Even if it was a few hundred dollars.

Bottom line, flex is going to cost you more labor, and more in material.
Give them 1/2 the savings and you just sold the job on value engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.