NASCLA and Fire Alarm Test Prep Needed

WattsGood

Occupation
Maintenance Electrician
Two of the NJ Contractor's Test requirements are passing the NJ NASCLA and NFPA 72. I found plenty of apps and YouTube videos to help one pass the Code section, but the other four hours of testing are where I'm having issues. IMHO, the NFPA 72 shouldn't be needed for an electrical contractor but for persons looking to do Fire and Security work. But alas, NJ has it included, and I can't find much help. Thanks to anyone who can help point me in the right direction.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Two of the NJ Contractor's Test requirements are passing the NJ NASCLA and NFPA 72. I found plenty of apps and YouTube videos to help one pass the Code section, but the other four hours of testing are where I'm having issues. IMHO, the NFPA 72 shouldn't be needed for an electrical contractor but for persons looking to do Fire and Security work. But alas, NJ has it included, and I can't find much help. Thanks to anyone who can help point me in the right direction.
I can't help you with a study guide, but I can tell you why they test you on NFPA 72. It's because as a NJ contractor, you are allowed to install fire alarm systems. There are three pathways to installing fire alarms in NJ. You are a licensed electrical contractor, you have a "P" license from the DCA, or you have a fire/burg license.

WattsGood

Occupation
Maintenance Electrician
I can't help you with a study guide, but I can tell you why they test you on NFPA 72. It's because as a NJ contractor, you are allowed to install fire alarm systems. There are three pathways to installing fire alarms in NJ. You are a licensed electrical contractor, you have a "P" license from the DCA, or you have a fire/burg license.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's too bad it’s not just an endorsement on an EC license that one could take in addition to the code and business sections if you decide to go that route.
It’s a whole new codebook that I’m unfamiliar with navigating; the font is small, and the language they use instead of layperson’s terms is even more complex to follow along. I can find 99 more reasons why I'm not too fond of it… lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk