NC Electrical Inspector Level III Study

jgganey

New User
Good Afternoon,
I'm starting preparing for my Level III exam and would like to know what is/are some good study resources to use in prepping for an inspection exam. Our state (NC) has some supplemental material, but I wouldn't consider it much more than familiarization information. Anything that includes practice exams is welcomed as well. We're currently using the 2020 NEC for testing, even though we haven't fully adopted it...different story for a different time.

Many thanks for any information provided.

ericsarratt

Occupation
Utility Contractor, HVAC Service Tech, Septic Installer & Subsurface Operator, Plumber
I have wondered this too. I am actually not an electrician. I am a utility contractor; I studied on and off for 3 years before I took my exam and passed it on the first try. Made a 74 and needed a 70. Done!

My plan is to take my Electrical inspector I, II and III. I have taken Plumbing I and Building I. After I pass the tests for those I will start focusing on Electrical.

1) My thought for the electrical code officials was to take a study course that caters to licensed electrician's for the electrical exam--I figure they are similar. You may know more about this than me.

2) I took the NC Electrical Board's Law's and Rules class. There I learned that KCR productions is the place to go to study for the electrical exam.

3) When I studied for the utility contractor exam I made a huge list of flash cards, about 600. Turned it into a pdf and just went through them over and over. I reviewed the cards until I knew all of them.

4) When I was in the Building I code officials class I heard that Asheville had a study group that met once a day/week (???). I don't know where you are, but seeing if a bigger city had a study group might be useful.

5) Ask Matt Love, the current president for the NC Building Inspectors Association. He is a level III electrical.