NC & things electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Cad, I don't understand where your link is supposed to take me? :confused:

Earlier, Dennis Alwon posted a link in another thread about the listing issue in NC. It sounds like it would behoove just about everybody in NC to lose the requirement to only use listed equipment, IMO.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
we were supposed to read the link to HB 1338 which changed the project value limits of the limited and intermediate EC licenses. which makes sense being the cost of construction has risen every year.

celtic

brantmacga said:
we were supposed to read the link to HB 1338 which changed the project value limits of the limited and intermediate EC licenses. which makes sense being the cost of construction has risen every year.
H1338 , not HB1338, has remarks about project values:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2007/Bills/House/HTML/H1338v1.html

EDIT:
Maybe that is HB1338 since it says "HOUSE BILL 1338" right on the top ...LOL.

EDIT #2:
While trying to find HB-1338 the first time, I discovered that a GC license isn't required for projects under 30K in NC ...maybe just Durham?
Unlicensed Contractors Part II and I don't know what happened to Part I :D

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
no GC license is required for any project in GA, although there are 6 jurisdictions in the state that require you to pass the ICC contractors exam, mine being one of them. this will change 01/2008 as they passed a bill requiring a licenses for residential contractors, resi-light comm. contractors, and gen. contractors. most of us will get grandfathered in. the only thing that really pissed everyone off is that you can only get a license to cover work you've already done, and you had to already have the level of insurance required by the license you applied for to get it. we also had to provide bank account statements, corporate financial statements, and credit info to get the license. it mainly hurt people like project managers who may have all the experience needed, but now have to buy insurance just to get a license that may not be required if they work for another contractor and don't have enough assets. the state really screwed up in the way they handled this. i went to the q&a forum held by the SOS office. the rep. from the sos office had NO answer for 90% of the questions he was asked. i could go on for days about this.

Last edited:

cadpoint

Yeah sorry the Link still works here, H 1338, I checked the number twice just not the letters go figure... The phrase is , "Only in Durham" ... :) for the record.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
celtic said:
I discovered that a GC license isn't required for projects under 30K in NC

That is state wide, but this doesn't apply to the electrical portions of these projects although some misinformed small GC's think it does. The electrical work must be permitted and performed by a licensed EC (or homeowner if it's on their residence)

Roger

brian john

Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Does it seem like quite a few posters with a problem sign up, ask for advice, usually receive excellent advice, with a number of different approaches to resolve the issue. THEN, we never here back from them!

Myself, I always like (WANT) to know if the problem was resolved, what was the issue and what they did to fix it. Just seems common courtesy for help.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
brian john said:
While it is GOOD they (NC) permit the electrical portion...Seems a bit crazy not to permit the CG...What about other trades?

Brian, I can't swear to it but I believe all other trades must be licensed per their trade as well.

And to be clear about my previous post, the GC must also permit his portion of the work and have it inspected even though he is not required to be licensed.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yeah, the GC can get away with no license up to 30K but that also includes all the subs bills (I believe).

The problem is who is checking to see if the job runs over 30K. The issue becomes a big problem when the job runs over the 30k because of changes etc. I heard one contractor who ran over by 10K and the HO refused to pay because he was only allowed to work to 30K. Apparently the GC had no recourse. There was also some bad blood half way through the job.

Everyone I work with is licensed and I will not work for the unlicensed guy or a HO doing their own contracting. No thanks-- I'll stay at home and read threads on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.