NCCER (National Center for Construction Education and Research)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grendal

I've only recently heard about the NCCER. Are there a lot of companies that are looking for NCCER certification (electrical)?

If I am a Certified Journeyman Electrician does it make sense take all the courses or do only the advance courses?

Is the NCCER going to be the equivalent to what BICSI is with its Registered Communication Distribution Designer (RCDD) certification?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Lost_RFTech

It is my understanding that some companies have adopted the NCCER certifications as a requirement, probably the most noteworthy being Du Pont. Additionally, I have heard first hand from a gas line industry contractor that the annual NCCER pipefitters cert carries some weight in his industry.

I took both the inductrial electrician and instrumentation tech exams with no preparation and passed them both, scoring 84% and 86% respectively. At the time I had right at 2 years of experience in the industry and did not feel the tests were too complex.

My biggest objection to them were things like the test referencing defined procedural steps to something like an instrument calibration as part of a multiple choice question. The available answers had the appearance of having been lifted directly from NCCER specific study material.

They maintain a decent web site where you can check out their various certifications as well as view a certified persons credentials. If anyone is interested, I could provide my certification info so you could check it out. Any and all subsequent job offers would be seriously considered......

Hope this helps.

renosteinke

NCCER is used by ABC (Associated Builders and Contractors) as the basis for their DOL-certified apprenticeship programs. They are the primary alternative to union-based apprenticeships.

Status
Not open for further replies.