NEC 110.16(B) Arc Flash Hazard Waring Label

anbm

Under NEC 2023 - section 110.26 (B), the code language does not have
same requirement as earlier NEC edition regarding available fault current,
clearing time on Arc Flash Hazard Waring Label label any more...
See attached for NEC 2020 and 2023 snip. so NEC 2023 is less
restrict on this rule?

Attachments

• 2020.JPG
    2020.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2023.JPG
    2023.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 8

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not really...the words
The arc flash label shall be in accordance with applicable industry practice and include the date the label was applied.
require a label that complies with NFPA 70E. The NFPA rules prohibit one NFPA document from citing an requirement in another NFPA document, so it is done in a round about way.

kwired

Electron manager
Not really...the words

require a label that complies with NFPA 70E. The NFPA rules prohibit one NFPA document from citing an requirement in another NFPA document, so it is done in a round about way.
And an NEC inspector generally only has NEC as a source to cite code violations. How is he supposed to quote something from 70E when that is outside his scope of work?

I have little issue with NEC requiring a simple warning label advising there may be arc flash hazards present, but any more details than that go beyond NEC's responsibility.

I have little issue with NEC requiring to provide maximum available fault current as the equipment needs to be able to withstand that level of fault current. But a high level of fault current doesn't mean there will be higher incident energy, that is complicated by clearing times of protection devices, which usually will vary depending on actual current level during the incident.

Things like arc flash incident energy, clearing time, and safety boundaries from such things are much more complex and IMO also outside of the scope of NEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And an NEC inspector generally only has NEC as a source to cite code violations. How is he supposed to quote something from 70E when that is outside his scope of work?

I have little issue with NEC requiring a simple warning label advising there may be arc flash hazards present, but any more details than that go beyond NEC's responsibility.

I have little issue with NEC requiring to provide maximum available fault current as the equipment needs to be able to withstand that level of fault current. But a high level of fault current doesn't mean there will be higher incident energy, that is complicated by clearing times of protection devices, which usually will vary depending on actual current level during the incident.

Things like arc flash incident energy, clearing time, and safety boundaries from such things are much more complex and IMO also outside of the scope of NEC.
He simply cites the 110.16 and says that the label does not comply with applicable industry practice.