NEC 110.26 and Conveyor Motor Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichV KVK

I install large sortation systems in office supply distribution warehouses across the country. These are like "airport baggage handling" conveyors for UPS type packages to be shipped to your home. We routinely provide large main control panels with 460V-3P-400A power, 100 to 200 motor starters ranging from 1HP-2.1A to 5HP-7.6A, and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) to operate the systems via 115VAC and 24VDC.

Recently, an electrical field inspector in California cited us for a violation of NEC 110.26A and the need for 42" clearance in front of a small 460V-3P VFD enclosure mounted remotely at a 5HP motor (it only had 30"to a concrete wall). This box contains the VFD (since its wiring terminals are not conduit ready) and a 3P non-fused disconnect switch for 430.102 compliance. This VFD enclosure is fed from our main panel via a dedicated 5HP CB overload/short circuit protector and power contactor for control. Upstream of our main panel's 460V-3P-400A master breaker is the warehouse's 460V-3P-400A disconnect in their distribution panel.

I would like some feedback on 110.26 and how it should relate to 460V-3P, 115V-1P, and 24VDC remote devices on a conveyor control system. My understanding was that 110.26 and clearance applied to normally energized main distribution panels, MCCs, panelboards, etc.

If 110.26 needs to generically apply to all wiring remote to our control panels, then I am confused as to how anyone in my industry can properly install and wire a conveyor system. In a material handling system, 24" wide conveyor beds 100ft long are typically laid end-to-end and side-by-side (6" gap) snaking throughout an entire warehouse for miles.

In addition to 3P local motor disconnect switches at each motor, even standard 4x4 junction boxes with 460V-3P 12AWG and blank covers are sometimes buried within a maze of conveyor bed frames, support structures, and protective guards with little to no room, let alone 42" front, 30" wide, and 78" high. It just would not be practical.

Some states, like New Mexico, have even adopted local amendments to NEC 2005 with wording like:
"110.26 (A) Working space. Add: ?Disconnects that do not provide over-current, overload, short circuit, or ground fault protection are not required to maintain the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2) and (A)(3)where adequate space is not readily available and the disconnect is permanently labeled ?Not to be opened while energized?."

I tried to receive further clarification of this from the city of LA, but they were not helpful, probably due to unfamiliarity with our applications.

Thank you in advance for any insight or advice you can provide.

PS: Perhaps someone can also explain to me how NEC justifies the "... 1 meter (3.5 feet)" discrepancy in case I need to move the VFD - do they want 39.37 inches or 42 inches of clearance?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: NEC 110.26 and Conveyor Motor Disconnects

PS: Perhaps someone can also explain to me how NEC justifies the "... 1 meter (3.5 feet)" discrepancy in case I need to move the VFD - do they want 39.37 inches or 42 inches of clearance?
Take a look at 90.9(A)-(D) which explains the NEC conversion requirements.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I also side with the Inspector.

But I can offer a possible alternate solution. If there is an effective way that the company can absolutely prevent anyone from working on that equipment while it is energized, then 110.26 would not apply.

NOTE: For the company to merely "forbid" live work is not strong enough. If I were the AHJ, then I would say that there must be administrative policies and procedures, there must be signs, and there must be frequent safety-training sessions to enforce the policies. The problem with your particular work environment is that production is of paramount importance to the company. If you had to turn off a major section of the conveyor belts in order to work on that device, and if that would cost the company money in lost productivity, then some company supervisor or manager will get it into his or her head that you should just do it live, and not halt production. That must never be allowed. If it is ever allowed, then you are back to 110.26.

I tend to be fiercely protective of that required working space. I got that way after an electrician told me the story of how he was alive because he fell. He came into contact with a live bus, and the current was high enough to prevent his hand from letting go. When all of his muscles went limp, the weight of his falling body pulled his hand away from the live bus. He told me that he was morally certain that if there were not enough working clearance for his body to have had room to fall, he would have been killed that day.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I think you have run across an inspector who is clueless about this type of application. If he had bothered to open his eyes and look around, it might have come to him that this is a very common situation for this type of equipment, and near impossible to avoid, and in fact does not introduce a hazard.

Given all that, the letter of the code is what it is. If he wants to stick it to you, you are screwed.

Just out of curiousity - are you by any chance an out of town contractor not using local labor or labor from someplace he does not personally approve of? That often seems to be the real issue in these type of problems.

justdavemamm

I would argue that the VFD is NOT [NEC 2002] "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized ..." since once it's installed, it just runs. If it doesn't run, it's dead and then de-energized to replace.

allenwayne

110.26 deals with working on energized equiptment,wouldn`t a breaker lock out negate that problem. ;) If locked out it`s not energized.
That`s what we are allowed to do.

bphgravity

Originally posted by allenwayne:
110.26 deals with working on energized equiptment,wouldn`t a breaker lock out negate that problem.
This is why I have submitted a proposal to delete the words, "likely to require" and "while energized" from 110.26(A).

I feel that working space is needed regardless if the equipment is energized or "likely" to be worked on.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

The problem with that proposal is that there are many cases where it is completely impractical and unnecessary to provide the clear space needed to meet the working while energized requirements.

jwelectric

How about a no fuse disconnect for a dwelling unit AC unit located behind the unit?
Do you think that it is possible that someone might ever take a voltage reading at this point?

110.26 (A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.
originally posted by: bphgravity This is why I have submitted a proposal to delete the words, "likely to require" and "while energized" from 110.26(A).

I feel that working space is needed regardless if the equipment is energized or "likely" to be worked on.
I agree with Bryan?s thinking and here is the reason:
Called to check the AC unit and when I arrived I see an old unit that the flex and disconnect were embedded in the brick veneer. The disconnect is about a foot higher than the unit but directly behind it.

I open the access panel to the unit and do a voltage check, low voltage on one leg. Went to the main panel and voltage at breaker was good. go back to the unit and reach across to open so I could read voltage here to determine if the problem was in the conductors feeding the disconnect or in the flex feeding the unit.

Before that day I had never had a dance lesson but the home owner was a dance instructor. She said that I could win any Fox Trot contest I wanted to enter. The LFMC had a bad conductor shorting to the inside of the flex and I found it with out a meter. :)

RichV KVK

Thanks for all of your input so far.

A few updates:

Originally posted by petersonra:

Just out of curiousity - are you by any chance an out of town contractor not using local labor or labor from someplace he does not personally approve of? That often seems to be the real issue in these type of problems.
Yes, my electrical engineering company is from out of state (Chicago), but for the install we are using a reputable local electrical contractor we have worked with before and who specializes in conveyors. We have had a very long relationship with the large national end user and even this particular city's inspection office. My firm is UL508 certified, and our factory has all control panels UL inspected during fabrication. All of the components and remote ancillary equipment are UL Listed as well. My point is, we are not just a couple of guys working from our garage on weekends.

With us working on the conveyor, another local contractor is working on the building, and they indicated the inspector was even insisting on personally testing every outlet, every switch, and every light ballast in the warehouse. They have commented that this new inspector "is in rare form".

In the meantime, we are investigating whether the city would accept this application under NFPA 79 Industrial Machinery, instead of NFPA 70 NEC. Also, it has been suggested we pursue NEC 670.5 on Machinery Clearance and as others have noted, perhaps the "lock-out de-energize only for service" approach.

As a sidebar, I am not saying that the inspector is wrong; the NEC code is very clear on clearances and I realize that inspectors provide an important role for insuring the safety of electrical service personnel. It is just frustrating when we, as many others in our conveyor material handling industry, have been performing installations just like this one for the past 20 years throughout the country in other major cities, and this has not been an issue before. It has always been our understanding that although we use NFPA 70 (NEC) as a guideline, it is primarily aimed at building wiring. Once the main feeder enters our control panel, all equipment would fall under industrial prduction machinery guidelines.

For the material handling industry, it is very common to have many parallel production line conveyors merging together from various assembly areas in the warehouse into a single shipping dock. It has just not been practical to maintain a 42-48 inch gap between lines. After this project, we will definitely need to open a largescale discussion and have CEMA (Conveyor Equipment Manufacturer's Association) reevaluate standard installation procedures, investigate why these NEC articles have apparently been ignored up until now, and determine how to comply in the future.

allenwayne

Originally posted by allenwayne:
110.26 deals with working on energized equiptment,wouldn`t a breaker lock out negate that problem
How about a no fuse disconnect for a dwelling unit AC unit located behind the unit?
Do you think that it is possible that someone might ever take a voltage reading at this point?

That is the senario I always run into this,A/C
gets set and the hvac guy inevitably sets the unit so as to encroach the disconnect 99 % of the time when this happens we have mounted the disc on rough and the pull out is above the unit.
So lock out the breaker and go on to next thing.

If you need to check voltage at the pull out yes I agree it`s easier and safer if the disc.Had clear working space.How many times have you been in some really akward position with a fluke meter checking voltage,standing on the top of a ladder reaching for a 4 sq. that now has duct work or anything ,that is 1/2 covering the box and here you are meter in 1 hand as the other holding on the red iron so you can get a reading :roll: Or coiled up inside a cabinet getting at a J - box for kitchen island ?
In a perfect world this wouldn`t happen.But in the real world we deal with the situation as we can.I do agree safety is the primary and should be 1st priority when doing something.But knowing what you must not do is do something you don`t feel safe with.I would never ask anyone to do something I wouldn`t do.
Experience gives us knowledge and I can`t speak for others but I feel Confident that if a disc. is behind a unit.I can check the voltage safely.I`ve lost count of how many times while troubleshooting a circuit I have worked live without required working room.Or on top of a 12 ft ladder with a meter in one hand and twisted in some strange position so I could get at that box that every one just had to ran there stuff
in front of :mad:
We do what we can and if someone doesn`t feel they can do something safely then don`t do it.I have never chewed out anyone that wouldn`t do something safe and says I don`t think I can do something and feel safe while doing it.
There are alot of inspectors that didn`t know that a breaker lock out was allowed .This being learned after they issued a $30 tag for working space.
I think that it should be left as is and not changed.An a/c disc. behind a unit is no different than a double oven .They 99% of the time have just enough flex to teach the 4 sq.
here you are with this oven dead in front of the cabinet and you have to check voltage and connections while energized.Breaker lock outs
offer a sence of security.Alive or dead I treat it the same way unless there is no meter on the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.