NEC 110.26(C)(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Equipment is rated 3000 amps over six feet wide. Attached PDF does it comply per NEC 2014 Article 110.26(C)(2)?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 11

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Yes. It does, however, bring up an interesting question. Both doors open in the direction of egress. The door on the right would also require listed panic hardware. But what about the door on the left? It may be less than 25 feet from the working space, if you measure in a direct line. But the distance a person would have to walk to get to that door may be more than 25 feet. So does the panic hardware rule apply?

Carultch

Yes. It does, however, bring up an interesting question. Both doors open in the direction of egress. The door on the right would also require listed panic hardware. But what about the door on the left? It may be less than 25 feet from the working space, if you measure in a direct line. But the distance a person would have to walk to get to that door may be more than 25 feet. So does the panic hardware rule apply?

If there are subsequent doors less than 25 ft from the working space in the exit path, 110.26(C)(3) would apply to those doors as well. Therefore, I would reason that even though you cannot walk to this door "as the crow flies" in less then 25 ft, an absolute distance to this door being less than 25 ft would still govern.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If there are subsequent doors less than 25 ft from the working space in the exit path, 110.26(C)(3) would apply to those doors as well.
I think not. The second door in the path is not an exit from the working space. Rather, it is an exit from some room that happens to have electric stuff in it. Once you are past the first door, you are "safe," at least safe from the immediate hazards of arcing and sparking in the equipment.
Therefore, I would reason that even though you cannot walk to this door "as the crow flies" in less then 25 ft, an absolute distance to this door being less than 25 ft would still govern.
Since this viewpoint counts on your first statement as its basis, I am willing to disagree with this as well. I can certainly understand this interpretation. The words in the code do not say "25 feet along the egress path." So it can easily be read as meaning "as the crow flies." But I think the intent is this: if you have walked for 25 feet and still are at risk from the arcing and sparking of the damaged equipment, then the architectural design must not restrict your ability to quickly leave the room.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
How much distance do you have in front of the gear? Maybe you don't need the second exit.
Is the area shown with the "fire pump disconnect/starter" also for the fire pump? If so, this is an issue.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
How much distance do you have in front of the gear? Maybe you don't need the second exit.
Is the area shown with the "fire pump disconnect/starter" also for the fire pump? If so, this is an issue.
From gear to the Panel HL is 48 inches. How is it problem if it is fire pump area? Also based on 48 inches I would need two exits but two exits should be on each side of working space right?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I think not. The second door in the path is not an exit from the working space. Rather, it is an exit from some room that happens to have electric stuff in it. Once you are past the first door, you are "safe," at least safe from the immediate hazards of arcing and sparking in the equipment.
Since this viewpoint counts on your first statement as its basis, I am willing to disagree with this as well. I can certainly understand this interpretation. The words in the code do not say "25 feet along the egress path." So it can easily be read as meaning "as the crow flies." But I think the intent is this: if you have walked for 25 feet and still are at risk from the arcing and sparking of the damaged equipment, then the architectural design must not restrict your ability to quickly leave the room.

Workspace to panel HL to switxhbiard is 48 inches. So doulble workspace does not apply. Would you disagree that the jpeg attached does not comply per 110.26(c)(2) based on two exits one at each wrokspace?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
From gear to the Panel HL is 48 inches. How is it problem if it is fire pump area? Also based on 48 inches I would need two exits but two exits should be on each side of working space right?

Sounds like you will need 2 doors.
The fire pump room looks to be part of the electrical room. Not allowed by NFPA 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.