NEC 110.26 (F)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneyl

I work at a company that builds custom automation machinery (Packaging type machinery). We recently shipped a machine that had a Nema 4X electrical enclosure which contained a primary power disconnect, power distribution via distribution block, PLC I/O (6) Allen Bradley VFD's and fusing for all items. The enclosure was mounted recessed under the machine feeding system. The customer called us siting NEC 110.26(F) stating that no foreign systems can be located directly above the enclosure up to a height of 6 ft. It does appear as though our installation would violate this code. Any way my real question is this. Does this code actually apply to this type of system. I assumed that we would be more regulated by the NFPA 79 Electrical Code for Industrial Machinery. It seems as though this NEC code more refers to electrical equipment that is either wall mounted or free standing not part of a machine system.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

guesseral

Re: NEC 110.26 (F)

A picture of the installation would be helpful to understand the installation, but the exception to 110.26 F would probably cover you.

Exception: Control equipment that by its very nature or because of other rules of the code must be adjacent to or within sight of its operating machinery shall be permitted in those locations.
Just a thought but I don't know the application.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

You are also right that NFPA79 covers the actual equipment as built at your factory.

As long as you have unimpeded access to the disconenct, you are OK.

[ January 05, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

110.26(f) applies to "switchboards, panelboards, distribution boards, and motor control centers". I don't think your control panel is any of the above. But you may want to make sure that you have left enough space around the enclosure for all the conduits and wiring that need to enter and exit the enclosure.

Steve

ryan_618

I think Steve hit this one out of the ballpark.

I red-tagged a disconnect for 110.26(F), and the electrician had to show me what (F) really applies to. It was a nice learning experience. I don't think it applies here either.

guesseral

Sorry didn't read it right. I thought they had built a controler for the machine not that they had built the entire machine. oops :roll:

[ January 05, 2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: guesseral ]

Status
Not open for further replies.