NEC 2017 Article 406.9(a)(b)

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Would the following satisfies the NEC 2017 Article 406.9(a)(b) requirements? Also what the product have to be UL listed number in order to satisfy NEC 2017 Article 406.9(a)(b)?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Would the following satisfies the NEC 2017 Article 406.9(a)(b) requirements? Also what the product have to be UL listed number in order to satisfy NEC 2017 Article 406.9(a)(b)?

No one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I dont follow what you mean which parts. I dont see it mention complies with NEC 207 406.9(a)(b) in the link. Roger from what i am reading he sees it
Tell us why you think that it's non-compliant? Which part of (a) and/or (b) does it not comply with?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The video says it was IP69 rated and serves as an in use cover when used in a wet area. You can kind of see that from how it works. Their documentation most likely isn't going to cite NEC chapter and verse, but it should tell you what you need to know - in use wet cover. It says it doesn't come with receptacles, so the installer will need to use WR ones.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Look up what enclosure type 6P means

Here in Maryland we have rain, snow and sleet and sometimes just sleet too or hail.

I see the type 6p from NEC 2017 Table 110.28. It says nema 6p doesn’t protect against sleet but then it says it protects against rain, snow and sleet. I am confused about this? What exactly does it do when i come to sleet?

Also what does NEC 2017 mean by weatherproof when mentioned in NEC 2017 Article 406.9(b)(1)? There is no weatherproof definition?

070b8ad0556b2212d8e4a851863229cc.jpg

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Did you read the * footnote?
Sleet proof means the device handle can still be operated when covered by sleet. What part of this receptacle is operable?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here in Maryland we have rain, snow and sleet and sometimes just sleet too or hail.

I see the type 6p from NEC 2017 Table 110.28. It says nema 6p doesn’t protect against sleet but then it says it protects against rain, snow and sleet. I am confused about this? What exactly does it do when i come to sleet?

Also what does NEC 2017 mean by weatherproof when mentioned in NEC 2017 Article 406.9(b)(1)? There is no weatherproof definition?
The outdoor table includes sleet, the indoor table does not.
There is no definition of weatherproof, but there is no question that a device that can be submerged is weatherproof.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The outdoor table includes sleet, the indoor table does not.
There is no definition of weatherproof, but there is no question that a device that can be submerged is weatherproof.

Post #1 is outdoor install. The outdoor table has includes the following:
-rain, snow and sleet
-sleet*

*Mechanism shall be operable when ice covered.

According to outdoor table nema 6p protects agains rain, snow and sleet but then also does not protect against sleet. What does it mean by that and by mechanism shall be operable when ice covered? What mechanism are they talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Did you read the * footnote?
Sleet proof means the device handle can still be operated when covered by sleet. What part of this receptacle is operable?

The ground enclosure in post #1 link you have to pull up access receptalcle and pull down to close it. Would that not need to be remain operable under sleet? Would that not be weatherproof then?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The ground enclosure in post #1 link you have to pull up access receptalcle and pull down to close it. Would that not need to be remain operable under sleet?
That's a design consideration, not an NEC requirement.

Would that not be weatherproof then?
It would still be weatherproof, as it "provides a degree of protection" against "rain, snow and sleet." That protection just doesn't extend to maintaining operability after a heavy ice storm. Once the ice melts, it should be fine.

You're overthinking this.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The ground enclosure in post #1 link you have to pull up access receptalcle and pull down to close it. Would that not need to be remain operable under sleet? Would that not be weatherproof then?
No matter what the standard says, sleet and ice can render all parts intended to be operable inoperable.
None of this has any real world importance.