NEC 2020 705.12(B)(3)(5)

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I was joking about Texas, since ggunn has provided examples of AHJs there just doing their own thing and ignoring changes in the code. The problem with going over the inspector or plan reviewer's head is that often the boss has the same ideas. Then it's a matter of how high up do you have to go. Eventually, as you said the court system is the only option. But most contractors are not interested in doing that due to the huge cost involved. If you are not going to recover $100,000, a large part of which will go to feed the lawyers, it's not really worth it.
In one AHJ territory I have worked in extensively, going over the inspector's head is futile because his boss, although a really nice guy, is not a technical authority. He doesn't know code and he has no electrical training or experience. He defers to the inspector's interpretations of the NEC and electrical theory, which are sometimes incorrect, to put it charitably. The solar division of the utility has its own hierarchy and does not answer to the engineering department proper, so there is no avenue for appeal; most of the systems affected are residential systems, so there isn't enough money on the line for any one project to make it worth going to the courts over it. From this you might assume that this is a small backwater jurisdiction, but you would be incorrect.

But hey, I am retired now, so this particular guy is someone else's problem. :D

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I didn't know you retired GGunny....when was that?
June 1 was my last day as a full time employee, although my former employer and I are working on the specifics of how I can contribute (and be compensated) as a consulting engineer. So far retirement has not been as relaxing as everyone told me it would be. :D