NEC 2020 Gas bonding

2Broke2Sleep

250.52 (B) not permitted for use as grounding electrodes............. (1) Metal underground gas piping systems

250.104 (B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system (s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded to any of the following: .................

I'm about to do a service change on a 3 unit dwelling, and submitted drawings that didn't include bonding of the gas piping underground on site. I've gone a long time without bonding any gas lines but recently I was having a convo with AHJ in another town, and he thought I was an idiot for saying that I didn't bond gas lines because they are not likely to be energized. He sent me a drawing of the bonding requirements from Fuel Gas Code G2411 (310) depicting a 6 AWG or larger copper clamped to load side of gas meter piping, to be bonded to service, or GEC, or rod electrode.
The whole thing left me confused. I was taught and under the assumption you didn't bond the gas as it was not likely to be energized, and would create additional hazard. Now I don't know what to think? Could someone enlighten me

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He sent me a drawing of the bonding requirements from Fuel Gas Code G2411 (310) depicting a 6 AWG or larger copper clamped to load side of gas meter piping, to be bonded to service, or GEC, or rod electrode.
The whole thing left me confused
The bonding is require for certain brands of CSST. Black iron gas pipe does not require additional bonding.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's not about using the gas piping as an electrode. It's about bonding around CSST, bare or yellow jacketed. If you have none, you're good. The gas companies can insert isolation joints if they want.

The appliance end of CSST is bonded by the EGC of the appliance. A nearby lightning strikes can drive current through the CSST by energizing the solid piping connected to the meter end from outside.

By bonding the meter and solid piping to the service EGC/grounding bus, we effectively bond both ends of the CSST together, bypassing the lightning-driven current from traveling through it.