NEC 2020 implementation of a service disconnect for 1200 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXnewB

Occupation
Contractor
Newbie here.

City has adopted NEC 2020. We're installing a 1200 amp service for a company located in a building with multiple tenants. Transformer, tapcan and meter are 200 feet from main panel and outside (we're in Texas).

City inspector came over and didn't like what he saw:
1- service disconnect at meter will require GFI protection per 2020 NEC 230 .95
-- Customer has GFEP protection in his switchboard. This entire 1200 amp service does not branch before it hits that switchboard, even though there's an additional disconnect when it comes inside his facility.
--- The only disconnects with GFEP I've seen for this size of service are unfused molded circuit breakers, I've always thought it has to be fusible for the service disconnect.

2. Conductors ran through the building must be fused NEC 230 .3
--
Conductors coming from service disconnect are load side, so they're feeders. How does this apply?
--- If the conductors must indeed be fused, how do I marry the need for GFEP protection at the service disconnect with the need for a fused service disconnect?

I'm at a loss to understand the new 2020 code and the customer is losing his mind. Any input and help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Confused Texan

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I may not be understanding this correctly, but, if there is a service disconnect outside, and, this is a 480v service at 1000 amps or above, the Ground Fault requirement comes into play at the first overcurrent protection device wherever that may be.

And not GFEP, GFCI protection.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Well I didn't catch in time to edit the GFEP, GFCI part.

JAP>

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Service equipment is not required to be fused, circuit breakers are acceptable.

For equipment this size, GF or GFP are common abreviations for ground fault protection, partly because it is rarely set below about 10% of the OCPD and to reduce confusion with devices rated for mA.

TXnewB

Occupation
Contractor
If circuit breakers are acceptable then we could simply switch our current molded breaker with one that has GFP and that should satisfy the inspector. Of course, after installation we still need to have it 3rd party tested to satisfy 230.95

TXnewB

Occupation
Contractor
Service equipment is not required to be fused, circuit breakers are acceptable.

For equipment this size, GF or GFP are common abreviations for ground fault protection, partly because it is rarely set below about 10% of the OCPD and to reduce confusion with devices rated for mA.
This is verbatim what he stated on his report, since we currently have an unfused circuit breaker:
"service disconnect is unfused conductors ran through the building must be fused NEC 230 .3"

jap

Occupation
Electrician
1- service disconnect at meter will require GFI protection per 2020 NEC 230 .95

Conductors coming from service disconnect are load side, so they're feeders. How does this apply?

If there is an unfused circuit breaker with no overload protection outside then you're actually dealing with Service Conductors not Feeders.

JAP>

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is verbatim what he stated on his report, since we currently have an unfused circuit breaker:
"service disconnect is unfused conductors ran through the building must be fused NEC 230 .3"
What is an unfused circuit breaker? Per Article 100, a circuit breaker provides automatic overcurrent protection.

Do you just have a switch and no overcurrent protective device? While Article 230 permits a switch device that does not have overcurrent protection to be used as a service disconnect, 230.91 requires the service OCPD to be immediately adjacent to such a switch.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The NEC absolutely does not require fuses for services.
The NEC does require over current protective devices, which can be fuses, breakers, or even relays.
Local codes may be different. Some people are lazy and only speak using slang such as saying 'fuse' instead of 'overcurrent protective device'.

Ask for a more complete code reference, 230.3 did not mention anything about fuses, back in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.