NEC 2023 - 215.5 Compliance

anbm

See new code language for article 215.5 below, how do we meet the underline items? i.e. showing square feet of the area each feeder will serve...

215.5 Diagrams of Feeders

If required by the authority having jurisdiction, a diagram showing feeder details shall be provided prior to the installation of the feeders. Such a diagram shall show the area in square feet of the building or other structure supplied by each feeder, the total calculated load before applying demand factors, the demand factors used, the calculated load after applying demand factors, and the size and type of conductors to be used.

anbm

Oh, it only requires sq.ft # to be shown if the feeder supplies a building or other structure.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The key is the first seven words....you don't do anything unless the AHJ tells you that you must.

Also that is not a new requirement. The oldest code I have on my computer is the 99 and that requirement is in the 99 code.

anbm

The key is the first seven words....you don't do anything unless the AHJ tells you that you must.

Also that is not a new requirement. The oldest code I have on my computer is the 99 and that requirement is in the 99 code.
They did ask for it in fact 😃

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They did ask for it in fact 😃
So you do the load calculations for each feeder and provide a sketch showing the areas served by each feeder.
The load calculations should have been done when the feeders were designed so they could be correctly sized.