NEC 2023 AC solar disconnect location

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
NEC 2020 Article705.11(C) had location of overcurrent protection like 10ft or 16.5ft from point of entrance for AC solar disconnect where it is connected in supply side of main service disconnect.

However, I don’t see that language in NEC 2017 Article 705. Is it relocated or deleted? If deleted then why?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
NEC 2020 Article705.11(C) had location of overcurrent protection like 10ft or 16.5ft from point of entrance for AC solar disconnect where it is connected in supply side of main service disconnect.

However, I don’t see that language in NEC 2017 Article 705. Is it relocated or deleted? If deleted then why?

No one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Don't know where the 16.5 enters the picture but 705.31 addresses the location.
705.31 in 2017 says just the 10ft limit but 2020 in a new section 705.11(B) it gives a couple of options that are different for dwelling vs non-dwelling installations that have a 10ft for dwelling and 16.5 for non-dwelling.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
NEC 2023??
Yes, IIRC the special rules for treating solar supply side connections went away in the NEC 2023. [Your OP says 2017, hence the confusion, people read the post more than they read the thread title.] Under the 2023 NEC a supply side connection is treated like any other set of service conductors, no special allowances for them.

Cheers, Wayne

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Yes, IIRC the special rules for treating solar supply side connections went away in the NEC 2023. [Your OP says 2017, hence the confusion, people read the post more than they read the thread title.] Under the 2023 NEC a supply side connection is treated like any other set of service conductors, no special allowances for them.

Cheers, Wayne

What about location of solar AC disconnect for tap from supply side in NEC 2023?

I see the confusion should be NEC 2023 post #1. Habit of writing NEC 2017 since was on their for while and AHJ transitioning now to NEC 2023.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
705.11(D) 'A service disconnecting means in accordance with Parts VI thru VII of Article 230 shall be provided..."

In Part VI of 230...
230.70(A)(1) "The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside the building or structure or inside nearest the entrance of the service conductors."