NEC 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Has anyone signed up for the NFPA LiNK for the new 2023 code? What is your thoughts. I really liked having the handbook electronically, but they got rid of that in the previous cycle. Is it worht the $99 per year?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I like all of the things you can do with LiNK, especially looking at previous editions of the NEC, plus looking at other codes and standards that I rarely use, but sometimes need to read. The search function is very good, and you can even search topics in multiple codes and standards at the same time. It has the ability to bookmark and you can click and view the previous code language when trying to understand what change was actually made. They also have put a lot of the handbook commentary in the code, and click on "enhanced content" to view that. I don't think it has everything the handbook would, but it has a lot of "enhanced content".

As far as it being worth it, it is the only choice for an electronic version, but only you can decide its worth.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
And hopefully you have cell service at the job site. Typical now, nobody wants you to own anything. Why sell you a PDF for $65, when we can rent it to you for $100 a year.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And hopefully you have cell service at the job site. Typical now, nobody wants you to own anything. Why sell you a PDF for $65, when we can rent it to you for $100 a year.
They added a download function so you can have access without an connection.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Preference. It’s half the price over 3/yrs, I’ll own it forever, I won’t have to use a specific app to use it. It works in Adobe, is searchable, etc etc. I always buy a hard copy anyway. Didn’t they give us downloads for buying hard copies for the ‘08 and ‘11 versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Preference. It’s half the price over 3/yrs, I’ll own it forever, I won’t have to use a specific app to use it. It works in Adobe, is searchable, etc etc. I always buy a hard copy anyway. Didn’t they give us downloads for buying hard copies for the ‘08 and ‘11 versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know they did provide free PDFs for a couple of code cycles.
The NFPA thinks that there was too much piracy with the PDFs so they got rid of them...it is my opinion that the lack of NFPA supported PDF, has actually increased the demand for pirate copies....those who wanted the PDF in the past would, in many cases, get them legally, but now if I want a PDF, I have to scan my hard copy, which is leagal under the fair use, but if I don't want to do that, I may look to buy a pirate copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.