nec 210-11-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryj

Does this section imply that in "R" occupancies, each bathroom shall have an individual circuit for receptacles? (excluding the exception). In other words, should we require a seperate 20 amp circuit to each bath?

jtester

Re: nec 210-11-3

larryj
I believe that the accepted interpretation is that one circuit can serve many bathrooms receptacles. By that I mean receptacles in more than one bathroom. It also means that if the circuit serves only one bathroom, the circuit may serve other things besides receptacles, such as lights. If the circuit serves more than one bathroom it may only serve receptacles.
Jim T

larryj

You are correct, however, I believe the "intent" of the code is to provide sufficent power to these receptacles, understanding that it is extremely common to find 1500 or 1800 watt blow dryers and also some very high wattage appliances commonly used in bathrooms.

jtester

larryj
You are correct that often times connecting more than 1 bathroom receptacle to an individual circuit is a recipe for disaster. But I don't think the NEC states one thing and "implies" another. Clearly it is compliant connect more than 1 receptacle to a circuit.
It is the responsibility of the designer, whether an engineer or architect, or the journeyman laying out the job, to decide on each installation.
Jim T

all nec states is 20amp cir gfi protected within3 foot of edge of sink :rolleyes:not individual branch cir

[ December 09, 2004, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: channing123 ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by channing123:
all nec states is 20amp cir gfi protected within3 foot of edge of sink :roll: not individual branch cir
NEC 2005, 210.11(C)(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
That sounds like an individual (dedicated) circuit to me!
:eek:

[ December 09, 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

In fact, the wording of the exception verifies that the rule intends to cover more than one bathroom in the first place:
Exception: Where the 20 ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted...
Again, per NEC 2005. It was clarified.

Status
Not open for further replies.