NEC 210.52(f)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianpase

I am designing a high rise apartment building, where as the owner is providing a stacked washer dryer unit within each apartment. The unit requires a 30amp/2p circuit, we provided outlet and receptacle for the unit. the staked unit is located in a closet just large enough to fit the unit. The inspector has come back and states that this installation does not comply with NEC 210.52(f) because there is no 20a/1p outlet and receptacle. I believe the Code does not accomodate this situation and that literal compliance of this section is not practical nor in the best interest of the project.
Please comment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While the code clearly requires this receptacle, for this application the code is wrong. This is a case where the AHJ should accept the installation as is. There is no practical use of the code required 20 amp receptacle.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I always felt the receptacle was there not only for laundry equipment but also for associated items such as irons (do folks still use them? :D). Could the outlet be so situation that it might be useful for use of such associated equipment ie: could an ironing board be setup adjacent to the machine ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always felt the receptacle was there not only for laundry equipment but also for associated items such as irons (do folks still use them? :D). Could the outlet be so situation that it might be useful for use of such associated equipment ie: could an ironing board be setup adjacent to the machine ?
The problem is when the w/d is installed in a closet with no room for anything else then the 120v receptacle makes no sense. I install them in case the units get changed. Most stack units I do are simply regular w/d that are stackable.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am designing a high rise apartment building, where as the owner is providing a stacked washer dryer unit within each apartment. The unit requires a 30amp/2p circuit, we provided outlet and receptacle for the unit. the staked unit is located in a closet just large enough to fit the unit. The inspector has come back and states that this installation does not comply with NEC 210.52(f) because there is no 20a/1p outlet and receptacle. I believe the Code does not accomodate this situation and that literal compliance of this section is not practical nor in the best interest of the project.
Please comment.

While the inspector is correct that it's required, as a practical matter the Electrical Sub-code Official (who may or may not be the electrical inspector) can grant a variation. Might be worth a try if your argument is good. From NJAC 5-23, UCC:

? 5:23-2.9 Variations and exceptions
(a) No variations or exceptions from the requirements of any subcode of these regulations may
be made, except upon the following findings:
1. That strict compliance with any specific subcode provision, if required, would result in practi-
cal difficulty to such owner; and
2. That the exception, if granted, will not jeopardize the health, safety and welfare of intended
occupants and the public generally.
(b) Except as may be otherwise specified in this chapter, no variations shall be granted from
any of the requirements of N.J.A.C. 5:23-2, 4 or 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.