NEC 210.8 (B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc

NEC 210.8 (B)

210.8 (B)
In a office building a room with a sink and a microwave and a Ref. Do all receptacles have to have GFI protection? Or just the ones that serve the countertop surfaces?
The way I read it looks like all receptacles in that room would have to be GFI protected. The reason why I ask is because we have a few general receptacles on other walls for general use and the inspector wants them to be GFI protected. Please help me clear my brain. Thank You.

jwelectric

Re: NEC 210.8 (B)

210.8 (B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:
(2) Commercial and institutional kitchens ? for the purposes of this section, a kitchen is an area with a sink and permanent facilities for food preparation and cooking

I have a hard time thinking of a microwave oven as a permanent means of cooking. From what you are saying I would think of this area as a break room and no where near a commercial or institutional kitchen.

aelectricalman

The 2005 book says that All 125 volt, single phase, 15 and 20 ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground fault protection. The only exceptions are in 3 and 4 (rooftops and public spaces to be short), have exceptions. Sorry. There are no exceptions to 1 and 2 ( Kitchens and Bathrooms) . All is all. I would say there is probably a special provision in here somewhere that would allow refridgerators to not be protected but I don't know.

dillon3c

Chris,
JW would be correct..
210.8(B)(2)this installation, doesn't fit this criteria..

jwelectric

Dillon, Thank you very much for what you did for me yesterday. I have just finished retyping the questions for tomorrow.

aelectricalman

I agree with you that it is not a kitchen, but if it was, then all I was implying is that it says ALL.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

In some threads this would be a kitchen.
You're right! And so would my outdoor deck with a cooler, it's sink and a blender.

redfish

I would kinda lean towards the sink being the key item in this area, and say any receptacle within six feet of the sink should be protected.If you are worried about the fridge,just break the bridge on the hot side of the plug or use a single recep.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

redfish,
If you are worried about the fridge,just break the bridge on the hot side of the plug or use a single recep.
There are no exceptions to the GFCI rule for nondwelling unit kitchens.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.