NEC 230.2(C)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy R

I am having a debate with an AHJ about 230.2(C)(1). I have a muti-family building and when the service load is calculated I have approximately 3,600 amps (208V 3ph). Our design intent is to provide four meter centers (four seperate services) located around the building, each meter center is 800 - 1000 amps. In addition there is a 1200 amp house service to handle all of the common areas and an internal clubhouse. The AHJ is telling me that I'm only allowed one additional service and my argument is that this section says "additonal services" are allowed when the calculated service load is over 2000 amps at 600 volts or less. So under his opinion I could only serve the building with say two 1800 amp services or some combination of two services that gets me my amperage needed. Our intent of splitting the meter centers into four is primarily due to voltage drop issues which this AHJ has accepted in the past, but my question to all is about his interpretation of this section and that I'm only allowed "one" additional service. He is telling me that this section of the code is intended to tell me that I'm allowed one additional service for every multiple of 2000 amps. I have not run into this in any jurisdiction but he is standing firm by this interpretation.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
FWIW, I agree that 230.2(C)1) does not say the total number of services cannot be greater than total required capacity divided by 2000 plus one for any fractional portion thereof (in your case: 2). However, I do agree with the inspector that it is implied. Consider the alternative... once the total required capacity exceeds 2000A, you could install any number of services, without exception (of course, the POCO will have a say in that ;)). I think the intent of all 230.2 is to limit the total number of services to a minimum.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The AHJ is telling me that I'm only allowed one additional service and my argument is that this section says "additonal services" are allowed when the calculated service load is over 2000 amps at 600 volts or less. So under his opinion I could only serve the building with say two 1800 amp services or some combination of two services that gets me my amperage needed. Our intent of splitting the meter centers into four is primarily due to voltage drop issues which this AHJ has accepted in the past,...

There are always (B)(2) and (C)(3) to fall back on if you cannot persuade AHJ that (C)(1) gives you an unlimited right to what you want. How hard would that process be?

Status
Not open for further replies.