Nec 230.6 conductors outside building

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch has Top View and Side View. Have overhead service coming on roof weatherhead. The utility meter is located in basement inside building on the opposite side of building from weatherhead

Nec 2014 230.6(5) says conductors routed through an eave but not wall of a building.

Questions about attached sketch which one would be code compliant for conductors to be considered outside?:

1. Can conductors after service point be routed in eave from weatherhead to the opposite side of building then drop down to outside wall of building to the utility meter?

Or

2. Can the conductors from weatherhead routed go thru eave then 90 degree bent to underneath outside wall underneath but NOT in the eave to utilit meter point then drop down to side of bulilding to utility meter?

Or

3. Can after weatherhead service point the conductors can be routed on roof to the other side of building then drop down through eave and outside wall to the utililty meter?
163dba5237f158b2647ba31ed6b7a6c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Nec 2014 230.6(5) says conductors routed through an eave but not wall of a building.
Read the rest of the section:

Where installed within rigid metal conduit (Type RMC) or intermediate metal conduit (Type IMC) used to accommodate the clearance requirements in 230.24 and routed directly through an eave but not a wall of a building

Basically only talking about service mast used to gain higher clearance for the overhead service drop point of attachment

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok lets repharse:

About attached sketch post #1 which one of below 1 to 3 options would conductors be considered outside based off of code:

1. Can conductors after service point be routed in eave from weatherhead to the opposite side of building then drop down to outside wall of building to the utility meter?

Or

2. Can the conductors from weatherhead routed go thru eave then 90 degree bent to underneath outside wall underneath but NOT in the eave to utilit meter point then drop down to side of bulilding to utility meter?

Or

3. Can after weatherhead service point the conductors can be routed on roof to the other side of building then drop down through eave and outside wall to the utililty meter?

jbelectric777

simple fix

simple fix

basically your main panel is on the opposite side of the building. u can encase it in not less than 2 inches of concrete or bury it 24 inches - don't have the book in front of me now but that's two ways anyway - u can also run service conductors along the building outside

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
basically your main panel is on the opposite side of the building. u can encase it in not less than 2 inches of concrete or bury it 24 inches - don't have the book in front of me now but that's two ways anyway - u can also run service conductors along the building outside
Ok but if I am routing the overhead service conductors after service point on outside wall of the building or on the roof of the building in RMC or IMC conduit to opposite side where main service panel is I would still have to encase in concrete or they are considered outside?

jbelectric777

why u guys come here

why u guys come here

hi guys and gals - these people come for non bias simple answers to questions, do they really need quotes from NEC I would think they tried that. lets be techy to each other and not to the people that just have a simple question. thanks jim b:)

jbelectric777

Ok but if I am routing the overhead setvice conductors after service point on outside wall of the building or on the roof of the building in RMC or IMC conduit to opposite side where main service panel is I would still have to encase in concrete or they are considered outside?

oh heck no - outside is outside yer good bud here is why nfpa and nec want them outside - because should a short occur without proper aic amp interuptor current forgive my spelling because should a short not open on a service at least its outside not inside - inside is where ppl dwell outside everyone can get out:roll:

jbelectric777

why u guys come here

why u guys come here

I was gonna be an actor - lost my chance - miles teller the actor is my cousin tho - does that count
:cool:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
hi guys and gals - these people come for non bias simple answers to questions, do they really need quotes from NEC I would think they tried that. lets be techy to each other and not to the people that just have a simple question. thanks jim b:)

Yeah, they do need to be quoted the Articles related to their questions. Often they are not looking at the right one or there are other Articles that they are missing. That's what this board is about- learning where to find the information you are looking for. After steering them in the right direction, if they still have interpretation questions feel free to ask them. There can be several posters like you, each with different opinions. Quoting the relevant text and reading through it helps everybody to understand the meaning.

Save the acting for someplace else.

-Hal

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Ok lets repharse:

About attached sketch post #1 which one of below 1 to 3 options would conductors be considered outside based off of code:

No, unless encased in 2 inches of concrete.

Or

Yes, if reason it passes through is for using it as a mast and you need to gain more clearance from grade level.

Or

I'd say it can cross over the roof but couldn't pass through the eave in that situation, unless encased in 2 inches of concrete.

kwired

Electron manager

This is a code based discussion board, if you can't cite code as part of answering questions it goes against what this board is all about.

Many times code directly answers a question, but the person asking the question either doesn't know how to find what they are looking for or are too lazy to even look for themselves.

Quoting actual code eliminates bias and opinions to some degree. There is still some times where it isn't obvious what the code means and then you get differing opinions/explanations. The main question in this thread is a little that way, though I think the answer is in the text of the code section OP inquired about and a reason I posted the full section.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I see it can pass through the eave if its necessary to get cleranaces to hold it as mast.

What if roof has no eave i.e flat roof not sloped and overehead conductors from weatherhead route to the outside wall of building in raceway to the main panel located opposite end to the weatherhead then would that be considered outside and no concerte encase needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.