Nec 250.104(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

When it comes to other piping, [NEC 250.104(B)] what does the term ?likely to become energized? entail?

barbeer

I consider that somewhat self explanatory, in the right conditions or catastrophic failure is there energy available that is likely to "mingle" with the addressed installation.

I hope this helped you, but I will say that mine is not the only interpretation out there and this question should be addressed to your AHJ if you have a specific problem.

Read this http://ecmweb.com/nec/code_top50nec_041307/

raider1

Staff member
When it comes to other piping, [NEC 250.104(B)] what does the term ?likely to become energized? entail?

Good question.

I feel that the only entity that can really determine what would be "Likely to become energized" would be the AHJ.

Chris

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Offering my normal explanation:

The NEC style manual tells code authors to use the Merriam-Webster dictionary to determine meaning of word not identified in the NEC.

The common dictionary definition of "likely" used in this NEC context is "probable". While "possible" is also a valid definition, I feel it is not "likely" the one the code authors intended.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Offering my normal explanation:

The NEC style manual tells code authors to use the Merriam-Webster dictionary to determine meaning of word not identified in the NEC.

The common dictionary definition of "likely" used in this NEC context is "probable". While "possible" is also a valid definition, I feel it is not "likely" the one the code authors intended.
Jim,
Based on panel comments that say "likely to become energized" is the same as "may become energized", I think that "possible" is the intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.