NEC 310.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzie14

Does this chart refer to phase-phase voltages or phase-ground? I am trying to size the wire coming from a high voltage line to the primary side of a pole mounted transformer. Everyone I've talked to has told me to use a #6 solid copper with 5kV insulated sheathing. The voltage is 12470v/7200Y. To me it would seem you need a #2 minimum with a 15kV sheathing. What's the correct wire?

physis

Re: NEC 310.5

Why would you be told to use 5kv insulation for 12,470 volts? :confused:

Who are you talking to?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by lizzie14: Does this chart refer to phase-phase voltages or phase-ground?
Phase to ground.
Originally posted by physis: Why would you be told to use 5kv insulation for 12,470 volts?
They are saying to use the conductor that is based on a rating up to 8000 volts, because the system operates at 7200 volts (not at 12,470). They are interpreting the table to mean phase to ground voltage. And they are right about that part. So a #6 is big enough, but the insulation system of the selected conductor must be good for 7200 volts or higher.

A conductor's insulation system is rated for the highest voltage at which it can be proven that no significant leakage current to ground will take place.

lizzie14

I don't know why they told me 5kV, I assumed you would need 15kV (isn't that the next standard size?). I understand about the chart now, phase to ground so we're only 7200V. I'm having a hard time finding cables that are 15kV rated that come in anything smaller than a #2. Does someone know where I can find this? Is a #8, 15kV, XLP 100% insulation the correct choice?

physis

I see the table values and the 2001 to 8000 volt range. I understand that but still don't see that as explaining 5000 volt insulation for 7200 volts to ground.

I don't work with these voltage ranges so I'm not familiar with common practices. And I also couldn't find whether to use voltage to ground or voltage between phases. But why would you not be concerned with the potential that exists between adjacent conductors. Are the laws of physics different between phases and grounds?

Edit: I'm sure there's a good reason for this Charlie, I just don't what it is.

[ August 09, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

lizzie14

I think they were wrong on the 5kV insulation for the 7200V phase to ground. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The table is intended to mean phase to ground. Think of it this way: If an electron had it in mind to try to escape and see the world ;) , it would have to get past the insulation systems of two separate conductors. That would be harder, and we don't have to plan for that.

As to the 5kV recommendation: I'm sure they were "mis-quoted" (that's a kinder and gentler way of saying they were wrong). :p

Lizzie: I think it's time to call a few vendors. But I think you have the right type of cable.

lizzie14

Thanks for all of the vendors, I did call a few vendors and it looks like I'm on the right track. Only problem, if you need the 15kV insulation, the smallest they make is a #2. So...we're back up that size. Not a problem though, short length. As for the 'misquoted', yes that is much nicer. That must have been the case.

physis

But if it had in mind to pay a visit to a good looking electron sitting inside another conductor ;) , it would have to get past the insulation systems of two separate conductors.
Hmm. I'll have to give that some thought. My initial reaction is that it wouldn't matter because the same potential exists despite any insulations.

But then the adventurous electron would have to overcome both insulations to go visiting in the other conductor.

OneWay

Originally posted by lizzie14:
Does this chart refer to phase-phase voltages or phase-ground? I am trying to size the wire coming from a high voltage line to the primary side of a pole mounted transformer. Everyone I've talked to has told me to use a #6 solid copper with 5kV insulated sheathing. The voltage is 12470v/7200Y. To me it would seem you need a #2 minimum with a 15kV sheathing. What's the correct wire?
Go with your hunch on this one,

charlie

I don't work in our standards or purchasing areas so take my answer with a grain of salt.

The MV cable I have seen is rated for a 15 kV grounded wye system. That is the same as 8.66 kV class cable and it will be a minimum of #2 shielded cable. It is normal to build everything with elbow terminators into the transformers for pad mounter equipment. For pole mounted equipment, you will use cable terminators that have skirts on them to increase the creep distance. Elbows and terminators come with specific instructions that must be followed to the letter if you don't want the terminations to fail. if you are terminating cable in a dry location that is live front, you must use stress cones to terminate the cable with and then take the bare conductor to the terminal. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.